MPG and modifications poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG and modifications poll

A recent thread got me thinking about mileage, and the corresponding affect of modifications to the stock setup. Due to limitations in the number of options available I selected 35mpg as the cutoff. I would have liked to add 'riding style', but alas, I've used up all my questions. Hopefully this will still be enough info to draw some conclusions. Heck, jumping to conclusions is the only excercise I get anymore.
    Stock setup, more than 35 mpg
    27.57%
    Stock setup, less than 35 mpg
    21.26%
    Modified exhaust, more than 35 mpg
    11.30%
    Modified exhaust, less than 35 mpg
    7.97%
    Modified intake, more than 35 mpg
    2.66%
    Modified intake, less than 35 mpg
    1.66%
    Modified exhaust & intake, stock jets, more than 35 mpg
    1.99%
    Modified exhaust & intake, stock jets, less than 35 mpg
    2.33%
    Modified exhaust, intake, and rejetted, more than 35 mpg
    10.63%
    Modified exhaust, intake, and rejetted, less than 35 mpg
    12.62%
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

My 'F' has exhaust, intake and jetting modified. If I drive it fast, I get around 35mpg. If I drive it slow, I get over 40mpg. I usually get around 35-38mpg.

I am a "double the recommended speed" cornerer and don't waist any time getting back to the speed limit (usually 5-10 over), if I ever drop below it.

I went on a 480mi ride with Meri. Being a new rider, she is very cautious on the corners and very rarely exceeds the speed limit on the straights. If the corner is marked 35mph (yellow sign), she does not exceed 35mph. This is OK, she's learning. No one should ever feel they need to drive faster than they are comfortable. On this trip I did my best to match her riding style. At one fill up I go 41.6mpg. I could not believe it. I though I made a math error. The next fill up I go 41.2. I did not know my XS could get that good of mileage.

A couple of weeks ago when the group (go fasters) made the run up around the Olympic Peninsula. Same kind of weather, same kind of roads. Different riding style, I got 37mpg.

I know if a I get on the slab and run at 70+, my mileage will be down to around 35.

Riding style is everything, if the motor is setup correctly.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Fully dressed stock XJ. Loaded down and driving fast I was still getting 37 - 38.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I did assume you are talking about an American gal.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I did assume you are talking about an American gal.
          Ole - I just can't get any mileage out of them

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

1979 xs eleven special complete stock factory setup 26000 miles

i got 49.1 mpg running 60-65 mph today open highway high humidity,overcast,s.c hwy 11 scenic route nice country.
            79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

I wonder if the PO of my bike jetted the carbs. It's only had 2 tanks of gas to go by; but, I am lucky to get 31mpg. The bike has a K&N filter in stock box and an Accell ignition, coils & wires. I haven't pulled the plugs to check for carbon or proper gap but she does smell a bit rich.

Comment

The Mongrel I sold last year (half special and half standard) only got abut 35 MPG on the freeway with Harley mufflers and UNI pod air filters. I know there was something wrong with the carbs but it ran so good, I never felt like messing with it.

The 79 standard I have now seems to get better mileage but I'm working so much that I rarely get to ride it more than a few miles away. It seems to be getting in the high 20's in town but I haven't checked. The mufflers are shot and rattling and will soon be replaced with Harley mufflers.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

mpg

My 78e is running a high flow bassani 4/1 mikesxs pods and up three sizes on mains and one size on pilots, I get like 25-30 but extremely quickly , still needs tweeking on sync and mix but runs pretty good with idle at about 1100-1200k
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

MPG Update

Same engine and carbs with stock xs1100 Final drive= 36 mpgs
                    " "xs750 Final drive = 42 mpgs
                    " " Chaindrive (13/42)=38 mpgs

These are averages, the 750 FD is 2.9 to 1 ratio, the xs11 FD is 3.3 to 1.....and the current ratio is 3.2 to 1......seems like getting rid of 2 right bevel drives has another benefit.....chop
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock
                    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Chop - You ever dyno test with the chain drive? I'm guessing that gives you a few more ponies at the rear wheel.

Comment

Two months ago I checked milage over 100 miles of varied riding (interstate, behind school bus, aggressive road riding, etc.) and averaged a shade over 41 MPG. I thought that was pretty good for 79SF with 4-1's, pods, jetted and a few other minor goodies.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Consistent mid-40's in MPG with the setup listed below. I find I do best when I avoid 5th gear as much as possible. Well, below 70 that is.

Comment

79 Special, Jardine pipes, EMCO pod filters, rejetted... its been so long I don't even remember the jet sizes!!! Either way, I get about 32-34 MPG. Close but no cigar!!

I should note that my mileage went up since I fixed my gas filler seal. Evaporation is a mother, ya know?
                            Corey J. Bennett
                            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Corey - I never even thought about evaporation. I guess I should get busy an put the new seal on mine - it's been sitting in the garage for a month. Interesting avatar you selected. Reminds me of my last physical

Comment

Working...
                              X