Fuel tank lining preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank lining preference

Need to remove and replace Kreem lining in fuel tank, most prefered method/product is Caswell, Por-15 or radiator shop? Also will radiator shop method require repainting of fuel tank?
    JC

I have not used any of them, but based on what I have read on the old list, I would go with Caswell. I may need to do a Special this summer and that is what I would try.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

My tank was so rusty that I didn't think I would ever be able to salvage it. Along with the rust, it had several pin holes in it. I cleaned it about five or six times using lacquer thinner, along with square head bolts and nuts, a small chain, and anything else I could find to throw in there to break the rust loose. Followed this up with an acid rinse, and then a baking soda rinse. After all the cleaning, I could still see a rusty layer in some spots. I decided to try the Caswell epoxy anyway, thinking it was worth a try (besides, my arms were worn out from all that tank shaking). I can tell you with confidence the Caswell stuff works great. It will put a complete, hard as nails coating on everything, sealing it up real nice. I haven't had any problems with the tank since. HTH

Comment

I just finished using the caswell epoxy. I am very happy with the results, except be careful about getting lacquer thinner on your paint. It took the paint off around the filler cap where the paint was a little questionable. Did not have to use acetone or any acid. When I e-mailed them asking about etching the tank and using acetone, Mike caswell replied:
        "All other gas tank sealers require etching, because they are usually urethanes, which have less adhesion than houselhold paint.
        PN adheres @ 300 psi to a rusty surface.
        It also has amazing chemical resistance - better than amine cured eopxies".
        Bruce Heckert
        1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
        1988 Honda GL 1500
        2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
        1981 Honda CM200T
        2012 Honda CBR250-sold
        2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

fuel tank lining

hi
          make sure you get all the kreem out as the epoxy wont stick to it.i didnt know the kreem was in my tank and followed the manufactures instructions and after 1 tank of fuel the epoxy lifted and crumbled.also blocked up my carbs.sent tank to the maufacture in tasmania australia.he found half the tank had kreem in it and used a chemical to disolve the epoxy and kreem.he tham put a new liner in my tank and also repainted it for me.no rust problems since.but you fuel level is less as my tank has about 8mm of epoxy on the base as the formula is for 24ltr tanks and mine is 15ltr midnight special type
          jim garvey
          sydney
          australia

Comment

Fuel tank lining preference

I used the POR-15 kit for my tank about a month ago. I had little success with the nuts and bolts method of removing rust, it just didn't get at all the rust. I degreased first with Simple Green, one to one dilution with hot water a couple of times and then used the kit. The second stage of phosphate? actually dissolved the rust, the tank was smooth. The third stage which was the sealer went well also and is hard as a rock. So far so good.
            Phil Havins
            XS11 Special

Comment

I coated my old XS650 tank and also my XS11 tank with Caswell's Epoxy - best stuff made for this application. No problems since. I wouldn't touch kreem with a 10-foot pole - I don't want that crap in my carbs.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Found some stuff made by PDI inc. called rust stopper. Anyone heard of it? Should be resistant to gas and could be applied over the rusty spots (alltho I'll try to get rid of those).
                Any info on the product appretiated... didnt find any on the web.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I've used Caswell's product 3 times. Flawless. I wouldn't recommend anything else. Just don't mix up the epoxy until you are absolutely ready to use it.

Ben
                  1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                  1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                  1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                  1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                  1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Re: Fuel tank lining preference

Here is a link for my methods of removing Kreem and relining with Caswells. Click on reconditioning the gas tank.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sidskids/motorcycles.htm

Originally posted by jchigbee
                    Need to remove and replace Kreem lining in fuel tank, most prefered method/product is Caswell, Por-15 or radiator shop? Also will radiator shop method require repainting of fuel tank?
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

marine epoxy

I used slow setting marine epoxy 2 part system last year. No problems at all with rust after that. Think it cost like $30. bucks at the marine outlet....may do the special as well before rust becomes an issue.

Bruce
                      Doucette
                      Bruce Doucette
                      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

I stripped my tank and took it took it to the radiator shop. They did an awesome job at cleaning it. I haven't even coated it, they did that good. I just let them set the tank in dip for a while. Made it easy to strip the last of the paint too.
                        Tony K.
                        TonimusMaximus
                        Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
                        New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Thanx for the info guys....
                          Don't know if caswells is avaliable here tho... probbably not, so I'm looking for alternatives.
                          Radiator shop is a valid one, just gotta find someone who still fixes the stuff.

LP
                          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey there Strom,

I don't know if you can order from JC WHitney over there, but in the main automotive catalog, they have a tank sealant designed to work on tanks with rust in them. I ordered it and have used it on my tank, and a fellow Xsive's. They mention different kind for gas mixed with Ethanol/alcohol vs. straight petrol only!!?? HTH.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tank

Have not used anything but the POR-15 but was well pleased with it.
                              Ron Moss
                              1979 xs 1100 yamaha special (sold)
                              1984 honda v65 magna (sold)
                              1984 vtr 250 intercepter
                              1975 250 TL Honda
                              2006 Kawsaki Concours
                              1979 R100RT BMW

Comment

Working...
                              X