1978 xs1100 2 choices high milage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 xs1100 2 choices high milage

Hi guys i'm new here just wanted to say hi and get some help on choosing which bike. The are both 1978 XS1100's. One has 86,000 miles and is selling for $700 and looks like it needs to be cleaned. The other is selling for $900 and has 80,000 miles on it, but looks CLEAN! I read the poll on everyones mileage and i am amazed at how long these engines last!! I am still fairly new to being my own mechanic and am leaning more towards the one with the lower mileage. Could i get some help on what to look out for when i am inspecting the bike before purchasing it? Things that would not be obvious/hard to see/hear? thnx guys!
    1978 XS1100E Standard
    Kerker Exhaust
    Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
    TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
    Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Korr - Welcome. Here's a good place to start. 6k isn't a lot of difference in mileage. I'd lean towards whichever one runs better, assuming cosmetics are roughly equal.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 07-24-2008, 01:42 PM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

OK just looked at the add again and the 80k mileage one is a 1980. Yeah you're right i should see which one runs better first.I can't help it. I got the jitters from not riding for a few months after i sold my virago I shouldn't get too anxious.
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Korr - maybe you should pray the patience prayer. You know, Lord please give me patience - NOW!!!

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

be patient , keep looking for lower mileage, it is out there

get one with records and that was shown alot of love
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If you can test ride them and see if they need tranny work. A compression test is always nice too but not always possible.
            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Depends on what you want

They will have a little difference in how they handle/feel
              The 78 is a standard (E)
              The 80 is a special (SG)

Not OEM exhausts
              Both have been re-painted at one time
              Emblems missing on the 80
              Side covers missing on the 78
              Looks like a "king/queen seat on the 80
              Hard to tell more w/o looking at em up close and personal

mro
              BTW, where abouts are you in the Bay Area?

Comment

decisions, decisions

I would take a ratty xs11 that ran good without the 2nd gear problem over a pristine one that was ragged out mechanically and had fried gears....my $.02
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

personally, I am looking for an excuse to get a big bore kit . The engine can be rebuilt, but deep ugly oxidation can't be fixed.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

originally posted by 81xsproject
                    personally, I am looking for an excuse
                    Jessie, there be NO excuse for you

mro
                    BTW,
                    how's your hydralic clutch mod holding up?

Comment

I went to see the 1978 bike and well i like it, but....I can hear a little tick in the engine, it has a mild smell of burning gas/oil, also is it normal for these bikes to have only 1 throttle cable so that you would manually have to roll off on the gas? I also noticed that it would slowly die if we let off on the throttle. Are these bikes usually pretty cold blooded?
                      1978 XS1100E Standard
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Check this one out No Reserve! Shipping Available

Hi,
                        Ran across this on ebay -
                        Do a search for this item number-
                        Item number: 250272409002
                        It looks good for what it's selling for.
                        Might be worth checking out!
                        Last edited by Tusler; 07-24-2008, 11:40 PM.
                        1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
                        2004 Roadstar XV1700
                        45 to 50 MPG
                        Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

Tusler - Good catch. Pretty sweet lookin'. Personally I don't like those aftermarket seats. They put the family jewels right on the gas tank But if your doing a lot of touring out on the open road with your feet on the highway pegs it's probably more comfortable as you're sitting more upright and your legs won't get so cramped.

Korr - that's something to keep in mind - where and how you're going to ride. I like mine nekid but I don't take long trips, and it's easier to work on that way. If you're planning on touring it's probably cheaper to get a bagger than to try and turn one into a bagger later.

Comment

All of these have little 'ticks' in the engine, especially when cold, would have to listen to it to know if it was a normal one or not.

Yes, the XS only uses one throttle cable, but there is a spring on the carb to return the throttle to idle. Cable may just need oiling.

Does the idle come down immediately if you roll the throttle off manually?

As for the dieing, did you have the choke on? You usually have to have the choke on for a bit when cold. Then when it starts to stumble, you turn the choke off one notch.
                            Last edited by Crazcnuk; 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM.
                            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

thnx good to know that the throttle should return whew Yes the idle comes down when i roll off. I have another xs1100 to look at today and hopefully it will be the ONE! Oh yeah Mro i'm located in Union City.

anybody see these side covers? they would look pretty good and much cheaper than original covers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...spagenameZWDVW
                              1978 XS1100E Standard
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                              Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Working...
                              X