quick brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick brake question

would filling ur mastercyclinder to full make the brake lever hard to pull??

reason im asking is since i had the bike the brake lever was hard to pull, so i clean the the whole front brake system a few times now, lines, calipers, tearing the matercylinder all apart, cleaning everthing and always put a little extra fluid in the mastercylinder.
    cleaning it never help, it was always hard to pull, but my brakes were never sticking or had any dragging problems, just the hard lever pull.

so yesterday i went to clean it again, drain all the fluid out of the cup, i pulled the lever and fluid squirted out the little tiny hole so i knew it wasnt clogged but i jammed a little wire through it anyway to make sure. i didnt tear it all apart, just wanted to clean the little hole. so i put the cup back on and only filled it just a little over the low mark.
    now my front brakes work like new, the lever pulls easly now and the brakes feel like they have better stoping power.

the hole shot fluid out before i poked a wire through, so it wasnt clogged. all i did really was put lest brake fluid back in then i normal did.

any thoughts on this?
    79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Overfilling could cause it to overpressure, the pressurized fluid in the lines/calipers has to come back to the MC after pressing the lever. So, that is why there is a level mark on the cover and the expansion rubber seal.

If you didn't take the MC completely apart, you could have dirt/rust,etc down in the cylinder/plunger part and it may come loose and clog the port.

The Spooge hole(s) relieve the pressure when you let go, if it becomes clogged, the brake level can get hard and/or drag the front brakes.

Just went thru it with mine.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/index.shtml

There are some good tips on the brakes, cleaning, and what to look for.
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
    X