Electrical or Tac problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical or Tac problem

On my '78 XS1100 E, my Tac will intermittently peg full scale. I can kill the engine with the kill switch, and it remains pegged, turn off the switch and it will drop to zero. If I turn the switch off and on several times it will sometimes straighten out. I will take off riding with it pegged and it will many times correct it's self and be good for the whole day. I have checked the connections from the inside of the tac and at the tac harness plug. I have pulled the tank and seat and looked for worn spots wiggling the wire all the way to the alternator. This has no effect. Any suggestions? I am stumped here. Do I have a defective tac, or could there be something wrong in the stator that would cause this???

Deny
    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Deny

Being that it stays pegged with the key off, I'd say either the tach is screwed or you have multiple shorts to hot in the harness somewhere. Check your wiring inside the headlight shell, look for frayed wires that might be shorting together. There is a hot lead there direct from the battery, going to the main key switch.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
      Deny

Being that it stays pegged with the key off, I'd say either the tach is screwed or you have multiple shorts to hot in the harness somewhere. Check your wiring inside the headlight shell, look for frayed wires that might be shorting together. There is a hot lead there direct from the battery, going to the main key switch.
      It drops to zero with the key off. Kill the engine while leaving the key on it stays pegged.

I can read a schematic - problem is there is non for the tac. Rather hopeing someone has seen this b/4.

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
      X