turn signal flasher 82 1100 Maxim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signal flasher 82 1100 Maxim

There are so many posts about this that I can't find the one about the replacing the stock unit, which I can't seem to locate. I just want the d#*n things to work. Could someone direct me to a link or tell me what I need to do to just get the darn things to flash? They light up but no flashy. I saw a post about replacing the stock unit with a run of the mill flasher but I can't seem to find it again.
    Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Does the 4 way flasher work?
    Most of the time cleaning the grond wires so they make good contact will get them to work, but if the emergency flasher works then could be your flasher and can be replaced with an automotive type...( I do not know which specific one as all my OEM flashers still work)

mro

Comment

yep, 4-ways work fine. The turn signals light up but no flash. Where is the flasher for the turn signals on this d#*m thing?
      Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Get a 2-prong regular flasher used in cars. It will only plug in 2 ways, one way works and the other does not. No damage if you plug it in wrong. You loose the auto-cancel feature of the OEM unit, but price is in the $5.00 range.

To save some current you can go with an electronic flasher, about $10.00, which does not rely on a heated element to work the lights. Lower current draw and faster flashing at idle speeds.

The 3-prong auto units will not work, different internal wiring.

If the lights are lighting up brightly the problem may be in the flasher, but the most common problem is bad ground connections, particularly in the rear lights. I would make sure the ground connection is clean (remove turn signal stems to ckean) and the internal sockets are clean. There is a small strap under the lens that makes the ground connection; I have had to remove this strap, clean it, and reassemble on a few old bikes to get a good ground.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The original flasher is available from Yamaha but it's 67 bucks! The flasher is located under the right side cover.
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Thanxs Guys. I got it fingered out and working. Gotta love this site.

Comment

Working...
            X