Tranny parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny parts

I just sent Andreas the money for the 78e tranny parts he has. He said that it is low mileage and does not have the dremil fix done to it. Should I have my local machine shop perform this before putting them in or do you think it will be ok.

Second, with the new parts in the tranny should I do the 2nd gear washer move when putting it all back together?
    1982 XJ1100J "Horse with No Name"

I would definitely backcut the gear dogs and matching slots. Take a look at 1st gear too while you're at it. May as well go ahead and do that while also while you have it all apart.
    There's some debate on the washer shift. Bob Jones (may he rest in peace) did switch the washer and he knows about as much as anyone about these bikes. I switched mine. I've never heard of anyone having a problem because they switched it. Make sure that 2nd rotates freely after you switch it and the c-clip is installed. I found that I needed to chamfer the inside edge of the washer where it rides on the shaft's shoulder so that 2nd would rotate freely without binding.

Tim
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
    X