Slippage in first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slippage in first gear

I'm getting some slippage when in first gear. It's most noticable from cold starts and steep hills. It doesn't slip while I'm in 2nd gear. I'm wondering if I need to do the dreaded dremel fix on the first gear dogs or if it could be the clutch. I'm hoping it's the clutch. I think I do get some slipping in the higher gears when I'm on the highway and do some roll-on with the throttle. Haven't seen a reduction in mileage though.

I'm really hoping it's just the clutch and that I don't have to crack the gearcase open. How do I tell if it's the clutch or the gears? I don't have a garage, so I'm dreading having to do this in front of my apartment and have the neighbors ask their inane questions. "Workin' on the bike, huh? What's wrong with it?"
    1981 XS1100SH

The dremel fix is for when it pops out of gear from what i read, not when it just slips. So from what your saying looks like time to rebuild the clutch.
    1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
    1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
    1974 kawasaki G4
    2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
    1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

my bet

my guess is your clutch. try loosening the clutch cable adjust on the left lever and see if that helps first. These clutches are week after awhile. I refurbed mine last year and all discs were within specs. It still slips when getting on it hard sometimes. When I tear into it for the big bore , I will also do the extra plate mod.....chop
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to check the adjustment at the clutch. Mine slipped a bit, took the cover off, adjusted it as per the manual and no more slip.
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Clockwise or counter-clockwise?
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

How do I tell if it's the clutch or the gears?
            You'll know! The clutch feels smooth when it slips and the gears slipping will jerk the whole bike as they slip and re-mesh with a KA-CHUNK!
            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            drilled stock airbox with K&N
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
            X