Clymer book Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clymer book Question

In my ongoing quest to discover all the problems with my 78 XS1100, I removed the exhaust pipes to sand and repaint. There were NO exhaust gaskets. . .none. Hum. Why was I surprised when the gear oil that was in the final drive was TRANSMISSION fluid (unless there is some other kind of fluid that is RED), and it was practically non-existent when I drained it.

I am plotting pouring this drained junk on the PO's rosebushes. . . EPA is gonna catch up with me eventually.

Anyway, in the Clymer book manual, on page 158 at the bottom of the text, the very last sentence in the section on Fuel and Exhaust, is the statement: "Be sure the split keepers are correctly installed into the recesses in the cylinder head."

What? I went to the fiche and can't locate anything called a "split keeper." Before I reinstall the pipes and the gaskets, can someone tell me what the heck it is I need to look for to make sure they are installed correctly?

Gaskets on order.

Cam

not sure but could it be a valve split keeper?
    "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

don't know if that's what you are looking for but if it is I think they are also called Valve Collets and I think mikesxs has some not sure if they are the right size though
      "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

Cam - Don't know what they mean by "split keepers". Sometimes these manuals use 'the Queen's English', so it may be a european term. I can tell you how the exhaust attaches. The muffler gaskets are crush type, and they sit in little channels in the head. There is a little raised lip in the head that the gasket fits around. You want to make sure that the gasket is sitting inside the channel, and that the ends of the headers are lined up properly. If they aren't, when you tighten the bolts it will deform the raised lip. It isn't the end of the world if they get deformed as you can still get them to seal - don't ask me how I know that Also, you will probably have to tighten them several times before you get a good seal. You know, get the gaskets hot, tighten a little, get 'em hot, tighten a little, until you don't have anymore exhaust leaks at the head. A little grease on the gaskets will help hold them in place while you fit the header pipes, otherwise they tend to fall out.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have only ever heard of split keepers in reference to valves. There are no split keepers associated with installing the exhaust system. Make sure that there are truly no exhaust gaskets. They can get smashed pretty flat and are metallic so they can appear to be part of the engine.

Tim
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I had to check my Clymer's, and you're right! That's a new one on me! One more reason to throw the Clymer's away.

Although some bikes do use split keepers (such as my old KZ400) on the exhaust pipes, the XS does not. The editors blew that one big time.

Comment

Clymer revisions/corrections/errors

So, this "split keeper" thing was just inserted to see if we really read the whole chapter on an issue, huh? Diabolical.

I gather, then, that I can delete that portion from the paragraph and ignore it. Are there other places in the book that I need to make revisions, corrections or deletions? I would rather find out now than later!

Does Clymer publish revision/correction sheets?

Comment

Are there other places in the book that I need to make revisions, corrections or deletions?
                Too many to list.

Comment

Most of the errors I've found have to do with the fact that the manual was made for the 78 and 79 models with a supplement being added later for the 80 and 81 models. In the main manual it doesn't usually say when the material doesn't apply to the newer models. Ya just gotta know your bike. Study the exploded part drawings, ask around here and dive in. That's my recipe.

Tim
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Yamaha and some other hypod gear oils are in deed RED but not having enough in there is not a good thing. I don't know about the "split keeper" thingee
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

My ZX750 has split keepers that go under the exhaust flange and push the lips of the header pipe into the exhaust recess. I haven't taken the pipes off of my XS and don't plan to just to check this question, but the other guys here should know if the XS uses them, or if Clymer's is mistaken.
                      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hey Cam,

Check out this thread, it's not all inclusive but may provide some of the info you want regarding errors in Clymer's!
                        T.C.

PS, don't forget you need to get NEW petcock O-ring/gaskets before you put them back on, and the screws/bolts have felt washers to seal them, you may not have noticed they are there since the screws have large round heads?

The screens can also keep crud from getting into the petcocks themselves, and rust can damage the 4 holed rubber valve that's in the petcock, causing them to leak!

And like was said before, take a flat blade screwdriver and dig into the head where the pipe fit, you'll probably eventually pry loose the OLD squished gaskets....they are sandwiches of metal and sealant material...I didn't know mine where there for a while as well, just looked like an extra sealing lip in the head!
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X