79 F leaking needle and seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 F leaking needle and seats

I have a 1979 XS1100 F that's my only transportation. At first only 1 & 2 were leaking but now it looks like 3 & 4 have joined in. The local dealer wants $50+ each for OEM or has aftermarket units for $40 or so each. I tried draining the bowls and blowing air through the supply lines and it works till the bike is shut down, only to start leaking into the airbox again. I installed inline filters already. I understand the 80/81 units have an o-ring. I also read on the forum that "dressing" the seats with a small drill bit was successful. I'm on a shoestring budget and need to know of any suggestions to get my 79 running as it should. At present I have the vacuum lines to the petcocks plugged and have to set both to either "Highway" or "in town" settings on prime. Needless to say, not a desireable or enjoyable way to get around. I want to try to get this done in one shot since I only get one day off a week. Any help would be welcome.

Hold and spin the seat in your left thumb and fore finger while gently but firmly holding the tip of the needle with a pliers. Hold a little pressure on the needle to the seat kind of like lapping them together. Spin the seat hold the needle still. Been running mine for 3 years.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Couldn't get mine to stop leaking off and on for the past year. Tried everthing including new aftermarket float seats and valves.

Finally tried using new float valves and seats for virago's and few other models. They are screw in seats that fit in the 79's but the needles are viton tipped. Ran them with my stock brass floats set at 27.7mm and set the total drop to about 30.5mm. Seems to have worked.

Got the idea from 81xsproject...see...this thread http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...n&pagenumber=1

Only thing to add is, the ones I orderd have 1.40 seats whereas stock ones are 2.0 I haven't run into any problems with the 140's but you can get 200's so why not.
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I plan to lap in the needles AND order the viton tipped units first chance I get. $35 rather than $200+ sounds great to me. Also, thanks for pointing me to the excellent thread and the great pics. Just what I was looking for. I'll also check to see if my needles are dropping too far and binding. All tips and advice welcome

Comment

Enough to do all 4 carbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...spagenameZWDVW

If link does not work Ebay item # 170240251161
          Buy it now at $70.00

mro

Comment

Forgot to mention....I used the original fibre washers rather then the metal ones, that came with the new seats. I did it just to keep the height difference closer to stock.

Hey mro,

looks like these ones? http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_...a&model=XS1100 part no. 48-1972

Those are the ones I originally ordered but couldn't get those valves to seal. I'm wondering if they were too soft?
            Ernie

Comment

Added to favorites

Thanks egsols
              I'm out of carb kits and those seem to be chee.... less XSpensive

mrp

Comment

Lots of views in two short days... Looks like my ride isn't the only one that leaks XSively. Great links and pics. You've given me quite a few options. Thanks again and keep the info and links coming.

Comment

Hey MRO,

yes they are cheep. The first set I bought for the 79 leaked after I put them in. I looked closey at the valve under a magnifying glass and I can clearly see the milling marks. Shouldn't they be smooth? Anywho, the $14.98 sets come with gaskets, pilot screws, jets, air bleeds, etc. so its not a loss.

I ordered another set from carbkitcapital for the XV920R (their part no. 48-1437). These valves seem to be sealing now. Only thing is the seats are 140's and stock are 200's. I'm wondering if their part no. 48-1436 would be the 200's that 81xsproject has been getting....see...http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_...ha&model=XJ750
                  Ernie

Comment

Working...
                  X