Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 will not down shift

Okay here is the problem on my 1979 xs1100sf
    The bike will shift up fine but it doesnt want to down shift at all. I have to keep taping the shifter with my foot and that always doesnt do it. I have found that If I pop out the clutch if im in third or second then it will down shift. I tightened the shift lever which I thought initially was the problem. did not work. Also if i am just going from first to second it seems to be fine but once I get to third and try to downshift yeah right doesnt work.

The guy that I got the bike from had re-routed the clucth cable and it looks like it is binded up. Could this be the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    whats hers is hers and whats yours is hers get used to it....

Check out this thread
    Click link...
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=shift+spring

mro

Comment

so the return spring might be bad I have heard that before but were to get one of those??? and once im in there should I replace everything else??

Comment

I think they are still available from Yamaha.

mro
        BTW, welcome to XS Land
        Have any pics of your XS?

Comment

BTW 2

Before down shift
          try lifting the shifter a little then down shift.
          If it down shifts OK then spring is suspect.

While shfit cover is off check that shift drum and the two parts that look like partial gears are aligned. This is done with transmission in second gear. Procedure is in manual.

mro

Comment

thanks for the welcome I cant belive I found this site very neat and very helpfull cant figure out how to get the pics on here

Comment

Someone say pics?

Open an account with photobucket.com
              up load your pics there
              three lines will appear below your pics
              copy the one with the "IMG" tag
              paste it in your post here

mro

Comment

lol Any excuse, huh mro? lol
                Ernie
                79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Just found my clutch cable had crud in it, I took it off and I couldn't even move the cable by hand, hmmmm....

I started pouring WD40 and 3 in 1 oil down it and working back and forth, FINALLY after 30 mins of moving it, it is now free floating, WOW, I knew the clutch was hard before, but much easier now and releasing better!
                  Dave
                  1978 XS1100E

Comment

Thanks for the tips...... i was in the process of removing the side cover and found that the previous P.O has rounded off one of the allen bolts. Great just what I needed So I have to punch a slit and use the good old IMPACT driver. I have the tension spring ordered and should be back on the road soon... Here is a a pic
                    just created an account with photobucket.....

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/100_1183.jpg

Comment

mro
                      BTW
                      I can not edit others posts...which is a good thing
                      Just click on the line that says "IMG code"
                      then in your post here right click and paste
                      picture will apear in your post
                      Last edited by mro; 07-20-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

new mber Pics???????

So her is a pic of my 1979 xs1100sf. Thanks for the help earlier guys but I am a little stummped. I have removed the side cover and the tension spring seems to be fine. What else could it be!!!
                        do you think that it had came out of place?? Im lost right now just hope one of you experts could help me get her back on the road THANKS...

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/100_1183.jpg

Comment

Hey Cycles,

I merged your new photo thread with your previous one since you're still talking about the same problem. The previous thread didn't disappear, just scrolled/pushed off the first page with other posts.

It's still the spring!!!! They don't necessarily break, just get SPRUNG, so they can look just fine, but if you were to test the tension against a NEW one, it would not be as strong or as tight!

NOTE how it fits around the shift lever and the positioning pin, because WHEN you get your new one, it will be closed and crossed, and you'll need to separate the ends to fit it into place properly!!! TRUST ME, replace the spring!!! BTDT!!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks alot man I have one on order so now a waiting game.... I also dont have the manual yet but how much oil does this hold and what would type would you reccomend I use. I mean What causes the spring to do that just down shifting hard or is that normal? The bike only has 28000 miles on her...

Comment

Hey Cycles,

Have you READ the STICKY thread at the TOP of this FORUM?

Lots of info available on this site, service manuals thru Internet links in the LINKS section, FAQ's, tech tips, etc.! IF you look closely at the right side of the engine above the clutch plate you might see a stamp that says 3000cc capacity.....that's the engine oil, see the tech tips on OILS as well, or do a search for oil and synthetic, you'll find a few threads to review.

Yes, only 28K miles, but 30+ years of it being pulled apart partially unspringing it....it's just normal age wear!

Not busting your chops above, but just wish more of the newbies would take a few moments to look around before just jumping in with questions that mostly have been asked many times before!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X