oil leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leaks

Hi everyone I gota couple oil leaks not real bad but I would like to fix them if i can for a reasonable price and not to difficult. the first one is the valve cover and I was wondering if i can get the gasket aftermarket from somewhere or do I have to get it from yamaha. does anybody have goo suggestion on where to get the parts? The other one is coming from something that I have no idea what the part is. its on the front of the engine in the middle, on the block not the head, its round and looks like 2 allen head bolts hold it on. I didnt look at it to close yet but noticed a little oil on the floor under it. by the way its an xs1100 sg. Thanks for any help.

The one on the front of your engine is the cam chain tensioner, read up on it before you mess with it. I don't know if there is an after market gasket for the valve cover, when I did my engine rebuild, I think all the gaskets were genuine Yamaha, but ai could be mistaken as I purchased mine from a local motorcycle parts / service shop. one of the few that actually has a guy there who knows how to work on old bikes, he was quite helpful with techniques and advice about these bikes specifically, and motorcycle engines in general. that's about all I can tell you, have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

sounds like time to remove gas tank and valve cover, seems like i seen a valve gasket for 23. bucks at mikes xs. and the other leak would be the timeing chain adjuster it is the round plug kike a small freeze plug.mine leaks there to. i dont know where to find it , but auto parts place my have that size somewhere around 3-5. bucks. i have never did either job but probally about 3 to 4 hours work. hope this helps good luck
      79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Thanks thats alot of help. now this is gona sound even more stupid what is mikes xs? Ive seen it here before and dont know where to find a site or how to get ahold of the place or person

Comment

Another cheaper option is to make your own gaskets with some bulk gasket material from an auto parts store. Trace it out and get a cheap paper punch to punch out the holes.

Also, there is stuff called Yamabond, or Tri-bond. The last time I had my valve cover gasket off, I didn't have a gasket for it and I just used the Yamabond to get by for now... but it hasn't leaked at all. I also have my clutch cover sealed with it with no leaks.

Lastly, the cam chain tensioner... read up plenty about that before you mess with it or it's easy to get a head full of bent valves... but there is a gasket between it and the block that is VERY simple to make. It's also been stated that there is a Ford thermostat gasket that works. On the side of it where the bolt and nut are... if you pull that bolt all the way out, there is a very small O-ring that can get replaced if it is leaking from the side around that bolt.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi trbig,

Originally posted by trbig
            It's also been stated that there is a Ford thermostat gasket that works.
            Tod

I might be wrong, but I thought that the thermostat gasket worked for the inlet boots?.... Most thermostats are more like the shape of the inlet, not the tensioner!

AlanB
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hi I just got a valve cover gasket from partsnmore.com $16 plus shiping. Bad part is there is a minamum order of around $30, I ordered oil filters at $4 ea to make up the dif. Where in minnasota are you.

Trapper
              81 SH (SHotgun Special)
              110 mains
              idle jets 2.5 turns
              floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

On the cam chain tensioner there is a plug in the end that sometimes leaks. You can pull the tensioner off remove the bolt and nut from the side pull the rod and spring then you can push the plug out put yamabond on it and push it back in. Before you start this you should read up on adjusting the cam chain. Like was said before you can bend valves if you don't.

Trapper
                81 SH (SHotgun Special)
                110 mains
                idle jets 2.5 turns
                floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
                  Hi trbig,
                  I might be wrong, but I thought that the thermostat gasket worked for the inlet boots?.... Most thermostats are more like the shape of the inlet, not the tensioner!

AlanB
                  Hey Alan,

You're not wrong, the Ford Gasket IS for the intake boots, not the cam tensioner! Tod was just up too late and his CRS kicked in! I had to do a search and found both John's post and Tods previous one where he correctly informed the use of the gasket for the intake boots!

JS, another thing while you possibly are ordering the gasket from PNM...www.partsnmore.com vs. www.mikesxs.com you may also want to pick up a pair of the half moon caps as well! The rubber around them also hardens and shrinks, and can be a source for leakage as well! Others have used Yamabond around the OLD half moons, your choice!

Again, as several have posted....READ the tech tips on adjusting the cam chain tensioner BEFORE you attempt to remove and fix leaks!!!! Otherwise we might be hearing from you about the bike not being able to start and NO COMPRESSION!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

more thanks to everyone. I ordered the gasket and camshaft end seals and a few other goodies from partsnmore. that should take care of that issue. I have read the tips and i have a clymer book about the chain tensioner ( guess i should have done that before asking what that thing was) but im not sure if i still understand. To adjust the tension i rotate to the C then loosen the jam nut and then the bolt and let the tension adjust itself then tighten the bolt and jam nut is that it? so if I want to remove it to fix the leaks i have to put it on tdc? does it come out by just removing the bolts or does the valve cover have to be off to line cams up will cams move if i remove it? Sorry if this is all repeated just dont want to make junk! Do I have to worry about and springs or flying pieces. I didnt find that gassket or the end cap on partsnmore or mikes. I can just make a gasket and seal the cap up but I would prefer to replace it. One other thing I replaced my carb boots and ther wasnt gaskets on the old ones so I didnt use them with the new ones. Was that a mistake or did some modles not have gaskets. They have a raised rubber ring around them that looked like it would seal them up.

Comment

Hey JS,

First you want to rotate the engine several revolutions and THEN slowly turn to the "C" mark. Because there might not have been much wear/slack in the chain, you would probably NOT hear any click sound when you release the main locking bolt! BUT, you are going to remove the assembly anyways, replace/repair the end plug with your favorite sealant, check or replace the O-ring for the lock bolt, then compress the plunger, set the lock bolt to hold it, then reassemble onto the engine with new gasket, THEN unlock the bolt and you WILL hear the click sound as the plunger it pressed against the chain guard/guide, then lock bolt and lock NUT!

THEN you can rotate the engine some more if you want to be able to check the cam timing dots, or if you had the valve cover already off, you could have done that before starting the tensioner work, but use the "C" mark for the tensioner! The "T" mark is just for checking the cam timing dots and other tuning activities!

The intake boot gaskets were added with the XJ, not really needed especially with NEW BOOTS, but some folks use them to help reduce the wear/temps placed on the rubber mating surface!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cool thanks a bunch. this is my first bike and appreciate all the help.

Comment

If you are going to replace the valve cover gasket, get some RTV Ultra Black and run a thin bead around the half-moons on the right side. Do this just prior to setting the cam gasket and cover back on.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I also used Pam on the gasket which was a good thing as I had to take it back off again. It came right off nice and easy.
                            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

well i just got an email from partsnmore and they dont have the end rubber seals any place else to get them. if they do get them back in im sure i will have to spend another 35 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X