Low Speed Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Speed Wobble

Could a lower speed wobble be from bad tire balancing? Riding next to the highway barrier, I can see my shadow. My shadow looks like I'm riding over a rough road; it rocks front to back like I am riding over bumps. It isn't horrible, but it is noticable. Above 55mph I don't notice anything. Could the shocks be bad? Do I need to change the fork oil? Any ideas?
    Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Have you recently put a new front tire on?
    I just put a new tire on and had a up/down wobble around 40mph, tried everything, remounted tire, weights, etc..got to decrease somewhat...

but did a rim runout check and sure enough, the rim is slightly out of round. I thought maybe tube, took the tube out and make it tubeless. Seemed to work.
    Not too noticeable now. I can live with it. Unless I have the rim re-machined and put the tube back in....nah.
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E

Comment

no, I have not changed the front tire. They have a long life ahead of them. I don't know if the front rim is true though. I don't suspect I will be checking that any time soon as I don't have the tools to do so. I do know the front end seems loose. I am planning on changing the fork oil here soon and see if that helps at all. It seems like something isn't dampening the road. If the front tire wasn't true or was out of balance, I would think I would be having a shimmy in the front end, or some kind of side to side movement. This is an up and down, front to back movement, like I am riding over bumps. I am thinking I am hitting pumps on the road and it causes the bike to oscillate. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

Comment

Brasco,

The front fork spring rate is adjustable, have you tried adjusting it? Also, the rears? The rear adjustments are obvious. The front adjustments are hidden beneath a rubber cap at the top of each fork. Remove the caps and a large straight tip screwdriver is used to adjust, push down and turn. There are three detents. Clockwise is firmer, counter-clockwise is softer.

Comment

I was unaware. Thanks. I will try that tonight. I am still planning on changing the fork oil, though.

Comment

Working...
          X