Stumped: XJ/XS Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped: XJ/XS Carbs

Finally got it running this morning for the first time in 10 years but i'm stumped. i'm not too familiar with these style carbs. i think i narrowed the carb year to an 80 or 81 XS from when the PO tried to transplant the carbs into his XJ. well, the bike idles fairly fine and i'm sure it is need of dire tuning. however, there is zero throttle response. i'll jiggle the throttle and it won't even respond one bit. it'll actually kill it if i open it all the way. my guess is super lean?

all but the #2 cyl. are firing. gas is getting into the cylinder and there is a good spark. not even pre or post ignition. exhaust pipe is dead cold (well, warm from conduction).

the current state of the bike is i assembled the headpipes but left the muffs off for now and installed the airbox. i plugged the #2 vacuum port on the boot but not quite sure what to do with the port on the carb. i plugged it while it waas running and it made no difference.
    '79 XS1100F

You'll need to plug all the vacuum ports if your not using them. Vacuum leaks = bad. As for it not running right I'd suggest you pull the carbs and see what jets you've got in them and give them a really good cleaning.

If you look here You'll find listed what jets you should have in your carbs. If you have anything other then whats listed I'd recommend going back to the "stock" jetting for your motor and starting from there. Also trying to tune the carbs with the exhaust unhooked is going to be a pain because once you get it right and put the exhaust on you'll need to redo everything.

Looking at the chart it looks like 80's and 81's were jetted leaner on the idle circuit then the XJ's, so if your carbs are off an 80 or 81 and the PO didn't rejet them that could lead to your idle problem.
    Last edited by psycoreefer; 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
    X