Struck Gold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struck Gold!

Well, in my continuing saga to find out why the #2 pipe remains as cold as my ex-husbands new wife, I finally pulled the tank and removed the gas lines. I struck gold ! Surely all those HUGE CHUNKS of metal flake in the inline filters are GOLD. . .and what about the pieces that made it past the filters and are floating in the line leading into the carbs. . .surely this is the Indiana version of the California gold rush. If the PO lived close enough I would dump all this gas on his prized peonies.

Gosh, and I thought him filling the tank to the brim with gas when I went to look was a customer perk, kinda like the Kia Stores and their "free gas for a month" lure. Now I realize it was to hide the interior of the tank.

So, here I am looking for how to empty the gas without merely upending it and ruining the really nice paint job (although I found that the fuel gauge electrical line was painted as well and is now brittle). I know that I have read how to fill the empty tank with anything other than a bike chain, and then Kreem coat it, but I can't recall reading how to empty it. I am going to run down and turn the petcock to prime and open the lid to see if it starts running. . .if not, I am just too old to do the old mouth siphon routine . I will take photos of this disgusting filter line as soon as I retrieve my rechargable batteries from my sons PSP and recharge them. This really is too disgusting.

Meanwhile, I guess I will go ahead and take apart the carborators since it is apparent to me that at least the 1 & 2 got junked up with "fools gold" and I am off the bike until the tank is relined.

On a positive note, I can now make a list of all the broken supply lines and get them all at one time!

Have I mentioned that I think I hate the PO? If the thought is just as damning as the act I am in big trouble with the head honcho in the sky

Cam the damned

Yep, you struck gold! And you are right to assume the gold has found its way to the float valve and/or main jet.

Run the gas out the petcocks to a gas can if you can (if the gas will actually flow through the gold). Otherwise, it is siphon time.

Be careful with the siphon thin. Gas tastes bad and not very good for you. Maybe you can get the PO to do it and offer him a light afterwards!

I nifty trick is to get a clear piece of tubing around 1/2" ID and at least three feet long. Insert it in the tank, put your thumb over the other end and pull the tube out of the tank (keep the tank end elevated). Let in just enough air (with your thumb) to let the fuel flow down the tube about a foot. Stick the tube back in the tank and repeat. Eventually you will get the tube full of fuel. The put the tube back in the tank and remove you thumb. That should start the siphon.

Good luck!
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Espiritus:

You probably do not want to 'Kream" your tank. See the thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=Tank+Cleaning

I had to clean my tank after letting the Bike set for several years. I used a rinse of muratic acid, followed with Arm and Hammer soda, but first I coated the tank with a thick layer of wax polish,leaving the white haze on to protect the paint, and removing the petcocks and sealing the holes with modeling clay. I then rinsed the tank several times letting the flow run out of the petcock holes. I coated the inside with motor oil to retard further oxidation. I had success, but do not recommend it unless you take extra care in handling the acid as it will ruin paint. The first couple tanks of fuel had a little bit of oxidation that was trapped with inline filters for the most part. The lines are now clear. You may also look into "Electrolysis Cleaning", see http://www.ighunters.net/metal/electrolysis/equip.htm

If you get most of the crud out of the tank and the tank has no leaks, it is probably best to run it that way as the "Kream" process has it's limitations.

Comment

Tank relining

Thanks to all who PM'd offering a tank. I took the tank down to my local radiator place and they are going to get the rust out and line it for me with whatever it is that they use. The guy who owns the shop also rides (well, when he thinks the weather isn't "too" cold, buggy or wet: his HD is very particular about the environment in which it will operate - his words, not mine - but it sure looks good sitting in his front office). Anyway, he is only charging me $70 as long as it doesn't develop a leak. If it has a leak, he is going to call me before continuing, although his quote for fixing the leak isn't very ugly. I am picking it up on Sunday. Hopefully, the carb issue will have been resolved by then as that is my project for Friday and Saturday.

I contracted a voodoo hit on the PO. . .

I took pics of the "gold" both suspended in the gas and on the towel, but haven't figured out how to post them, or even if it is really something that needs to be visualized. Let me know if anyone wants to see it and I'll email them to you.

Thanks, again, for all the support.

Cam

Comment

Good luck.

The best stuff there is for rusty gas tanks can be found here:
          http://caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I've used it many times and it always exceeds expectations.
          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I used the Kreem in my tank back in 1988 i think it was.It is not a 5 minute job and takes alot of prep work but i have never had a problem with the tank since then.I know there is probably better stuff out there but were talking 1988 and it was highly recommended back then.Still no rust in my tank but i try to always keep gas in it.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

You can save the gas if you like by putting it through a coffee filter and then use it in a lawn mower or other gas burning engine.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
              X