Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the oil come from

Hi Gang!
    I had to ask if this has ever happened to anyone. Let me start out by letting you know, my XS1100 1980G, has never leaked a drop of crankcase oil from the day I got it. The bike has never used any oil, and the level in the view port has never changed from dead center. Yesterday, I had an embarrassing moment. I stopped at the supermarket, parking in the lot with cars to my right. When I started off, I forgot the kickstand. With cars to close to me on the right, I hit the stand and did a controlled lay down on the bikes left side. (slight mark on case guard) I took a breath and lifted her right up. When I got the bike to about 60 degrees I saw about a cup of oil drip off the left frame rail onto the pavement. Smelled it, yup oil. Five lines of oil were visible on the frame under the left side. I check for the leak source. Nowhere could I find any hint of oil on the engine, and believe me I searched. No oil under the shift lever, (didn't hit) no oil on the filter cover no oil on the bottom of the case. I started the bike briefly then shut her down. I immediately checked the oil level view window, and yes, the level was down to the bottom of the window. Took about a cup. Again, I carefully checked the shift seal area and nothing. Anyone got an idea of where it might have come from. I am so baffled, I was thinking of laying her down on a carpet to re-create the situation. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Floyd
    '80G

Hasn't leaked since

By the way, Drove the bike 80 miles after I topped it up, and not a drop.

Floyd

Comment

odd... usually it's fuel from the tilted carbs that you'll see.
      only source of oil from the closed engine would be from the crank case breather/oil seperator unit at the rear.
      as it's piped to the airbox... oil and fuel mixture maybe?
      middle drive gear oil coming out the vent tube... though due to it's viscosity... that would be a stretch to imagine.

bad seal of the o-ring on the starter? starter's up high...no reason to notice if the seal's bad... but if the bike lays sideways... oil would pool around the seal and could leak.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
      X