No announcement yet.

Running light not working, has voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running light not working, has voltage?

So my rear running light has quit working. The brake light works, the running light doesn't. However, when I check the voltage at the bulb receptacle, both have voltage (the running light has 12v and the brake light has 6v when not actuated and 12v when it is). I've tried stretching the spring and everything, including cleaning contacts and a new bulb (which checks out fine, mind you).

So I guess I am suspicious of the 6v current running to the brake light when it is not actuated. Is this how it is supposed to work? I figured it would be 0v when off, and 12v when on.

Could my brake-out dummy light relay have anything to do with this?!
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

I'd be suspicious of that 6v when not on also. I don't think it would effect the tail light though. Did you check the ground? A lot of light problems end up being bad ground wires. If you have a good bulb, ground and 12V then the light should light up.

If you were testing from the "brake" light contact to the lights ground and seeing 6V, try testing from the lights ground to say, the battery - terminal and see if you get 6V. Maybe you have a mild short somewhere and your ground isn't a ground anymore, causing your light not to light.

I can check mine when I get home to see if I have any voltage on the "brake" light when the brakes aren't applied.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
    X