Resurfacing discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurfacing discs

Just looking into the braking parts of the '81 Standard I'm rebuilding, and the next item on the list is the brake rotors. Poor things seen better days, to put it one way. They've seen a lot of weather, and not much use, so the rust has basically taken over. Due to this, there's a fair amount of pitting on them.
    What I'm wondering is, has anyone had brake discs for these bikes re-surfaced/ground down, and would there be limits to how much could be ground off?
    Current playthings:

1981 Yamaha XS1100H - 1179cc Wiseco bore kit, 36mm ZRX1200 carburetors, damn thing has been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Yep, its been a long time coming.
    1988 Yamaha XT600 Tenere - She'll go just about anywhere!
    1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - The previous tourer, replaced by the XS11. Someone had to go.
    1974 Chrysler Valiant Charger - Because you can't only have 2 wheeled toys draining the cash.

See this

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=rotor
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

i did this

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...=MOV00836.flv\

which came out to this

'79 XS1100F

Comment

rbmgf7,

As that seemed to work for removing rust off of a metal surface, I would NEVER recommend anyone ever doing that to brake discs. They need to be turned on a lathe to remain true. I can't even imagine what those are like under heavy braking.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk or cut you down.. there is just a reason why people don't take their front discs off their car, set them in their laps, and start grinding the grooves off of them.

That being said, I have heard that there are problems with turning the discs and having them warp afterwards. What you might try is turning them, then drilling them to help dissipate the heat to help with warpage.

OR... looking on Ebay for some good used ones would probably be the cheapest route if that's what you're looking for.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hmm, from the sounds of this, it sounds like it's time to go annoy the local wrecking yards again
          Thanks for the input though, guys.
          Current playthings:

1981 Yamaha XS1100H - 1179cc Wiseco bore kit, 36mm ZRX1200 carburetors, damn thing has been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Yep, its been a long time coming.
          1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - The previous tourer, replaced by the XS11. Someone had to go.
          1974 Chrysler Valiant Charger - Because you can't only have 2 wheeled toys draining the cash.

Comment

They can be resurface but you need to find a machine shop that surface grinds rather than lathe turns them. Stainless steel doesn't cut well on a lathe like iron rotors used on cars and only a few bikes.

The iron rotors on my old Guzzi worked fantastic but looked like crap if the bike sat more than 24 hours. I tried baking on black paint to cover the areas where the pads didn't ride and that only lasted a month...

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

FWIW - There's a guy on ebay the will grind them for you for 50 bucks each. ebay item number 300242345391.
              Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
              1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
              23mm float height
              120 main jets
              42.5 pilot jets
              drilled stock airbox with K&N
              Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
              spade fusebox
              1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

And i can send you a left right front match pair of non slotted rotors with bolts and clips, awesome shape, last for yrs not grooved or warped, $100 includes ship to australia.andreas

Comment

You've got a PM coming your way, Andreas.
                  Current playthings:

Comment

XS1100 BRAKE DISC ROTOR MACHINE:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300242345391

Hey, that guy is back. Looks like he does good work, but his prices have gone up almost 20 bucks since I last seen this auction. Demand must be up.

Quote:
                    The iron rotors on my old Guzzi worked fantastic but looked like crap if the bike sat more than 24 hours. I tried baking on black paint to cover the areas where the pads didn't ride and that only lasted a month...

Yeah, the same with the front rotor on my old 73 Norton.

Comment

So we can't turn these on lathes?
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                        So we can't turn these on lathes?
                        It can be done, but requires the correct grind on the cutting tool and a spray mist coolant. Not the kind of skills your going to find at an automotive machine shop. And in todays CNC world those skills a getting increasingly rare.

In the '70s one of the Cycle mags had an article about turning stainless rotors in a lathe.

Steve
                        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                        Norton Electra - future restore
                        CZ 400 MX'er
                        68 Ducati Scrambler
                        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
                        X