Carb Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Help!

I just bought a 1980 1100 SG (a big move from my KZ 305) and found that it wasn't idling without the choke out. I pulled the carbs took em apart and cleaned them all up, only to find a tiny ball bearing on the bench top after i thought i had put everything back. I dont remember taking this out from anywhere, but feel thankful that I found it before cleaning up. Any ideas where it might go? its about 2 or 3 mm in diameter.

Also, there is a bronze tube coming out of #2 carb, and I've read a few things about the vacuum advance. There is a stray tube on the bike that goes down to the left side of the engine that looks like its thick enough to deal with the pressure of a vacuum. do these two go together? it was running before without it, is it neccesary to hook it back up to wherever it should go?

Thanks
    - Jimmy

yes the vac line from the left side of the bike goes to #2 carb...not sure about the bb.
    81 SH for 300 bucks,work in progress.
    87 dodge d-50,35's,lockers fr&rr,fun.
    87 dodge d-50,35's,open diffs,wifes.
    89 dodge spirit,low 17's 1/4mile w/o turbo.

Comment

ball bearing should go in carb #1 or #4 the choke rod? {not sure what it's called} but it connects to all chokes...the bearing is the click that you feel, tiny spring behind the bearing

hose connects to carb #2, yes, but you do not have to have it connected for bike to run, however you do have to cap the nipple on carb if you don't hook it up....

good luck!
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

but you do not have to have it connected for bike to run
        Oh, but it runs so much better when it's connected.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578

Oh, but it runs so much better when it's connected.
          That's advanced thinking.

You will see dentents on the choke rod. This is were the ball bearings click into. Line up the rod with the carbs and you will see the tiny bores that the bearing came out of. There should be a small spring behind the bearing to apply the pressure on the choke rod. Make sure the spring is still in the bore before putting the ball back in.
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Wish I could find the same ball bearing. Just finished re-building my carbs the other day, and alas, no ball bearings or springs to be found...
            This is probably why it's best to put everything in containers during the disassembly phase I spose. Here's hoping the things turn up when I clean up the garage a bit.
            My choke rod now has such a nice smooth movement which makes it rather useless, heh.
            Current playthings:

1981 Yamaha XS1100H - 1179cc Wiseco bore kit, 36mm ZRX1200 carburetors, damn thing has been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Yep, its been a long time coming.
            1988 Yamaha XT600 Tenere - She'll go just about anywhere!
            1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - The previous tourer, replaced by the XS11. Someone had to go.
            1974 Chrysler Valiant Charger - Because you can't only have 2 wheeled toys draining the cash.

Comment

Parts from bikebandit.com

10: BALL 1/8 ((PH/R)) [BALL 1/8] 360992-001 Enter 0-99 $0.48
              11: SPRING 293949-001 Enter 0-99 $5.70
              Ernie
              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, i appreciate all the help and diagrams.

One more dumb question. What is the function of the hose that comes out of the rear part of the engine and up to the front of the air box? it seems like its recycling air from the engine somehow...does this make sense?

Thanks again,
                Jimmy

Comment

If it is a large hose that hooks to the top of the air box then it is your crank case breather hose.
                  Its purpose is to prevent the crankcase from building up pressure and blowing out the seals on the motor. Your best bet is to leave it hooked up to the air box.
                  If your ditching the stock air box and going to pod filters then you'll want to put a small air filter on that breather hose and run it up out of the way some place, just don't cap it off.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                  X