Vinyl seat shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl seat shine

Hi all, this is my first question and I hope it's not one of those newbie asked for the nine hundreds time question, what are you using on your bike seat to keep the shine? Mine is a king and queen type seat in mint condition but is quite dull looking. It's still soft and supple but wont shine. So far I have tried Simoniz vinyl top protectant wax, and armour all extreme tire shine. My seat reverts quickly back to dull. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

seat shine

Hi Wuberman, the armorall stuff is poison for your vinyls. It is high in petrol. products and will severely shorten the vinyls life. Any high petroleum base protectant will. Best bet is to make sure it is clean of all the protectant, maybe use saddle soap and soft brush, apply some leather protectant- which use no petrol base. The seat will stay soft and pliable. The petrol or silicon base stuff will also make the seat slippery. So, a high shine looks good but will break down the vinyl fast. Unless another member can find a shiny, good for vinyl protectant, keep it clean and use gentle protectants......good luck, Mike in Calif.
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Hello,
      I use plexus or novus "sparingly". Mostly on the sides of seat.
      1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

Thanks for the info, everything I put on it so far is chaulked full of petroleum distillates. Must find a carnuba wax conditioner. before it starts to deteriorate.

Comment

Bohn Farser uses Plexus on EVERYTHING! I think he even puts it in his coffee??

But he has a pretty sharp looking bike.. been using it on everything for a long time.. tank, windshield, chrome... Good stuff.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

try this

Hi Wuberman, a good leather conditioner is ok, along with 3M vinyl dressing, also a product called" ProtectAll" found in most bike shops.The protectall will give you a nice luster and it can be used on everything-paint, chrome, fairing,etc....a nice product. About 9.00 a spraycan, or buy it on EBay......good luck again, Mike in Calif.
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

Re: seat shine

Originally posted by soccer4m
              Hi Wuberman, the armorall stuff is poison for your vinyls. It is high in petrol. products and will severely shorten the vinyls life. Any high petroleum base protectant will. Best bet is to make sure it is clean of all the protectant, maybe use saddle soap and soft brush, apply some leather protectant- which use no petrol base. The seat will stay soft and pliable. The petrol or silicon base stuff will also make the seat slippery. So, a high shine looks good but will break down the vinyl fast. Unless another member can find a shiny, good for vinyl protectant, keep it clean and use gentle protectants......good luck, Mike in Calif.
              Cheers for that-my seat needs recovering after only 2 yrs;ill stop Armoraling it
              80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Vinylex for vinyl, Lexol for leather
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                X