Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front breaks suddenly not working

Dunno if any one can help here.

I did my 2nd gear, paint job, jet carbs, clutch and springs, handle bars, instruments, every thing works great

Except my F&^$%*(&ing front breaks

I did nothing with them. The piston in the mastercylender doesn't seem to make pressure. I try to bleed and I get just a trickle. The handle is super soft, and adjustment screw is all the way in. I managed to trickle out half of whats in the reservior. So there can't be air still in the lines(if there was any)

Any clues?

Hi Dave,
    Yamaha dual front disk brakes are a right swine to bleed. Try this:- Remove both calipers and shove pieces of 1/4" thick plywood between the pads to stop them over-closing. Hang the calipers up higher than the master cylinder. Bleed'n'bleed'n'bleed until all the air is gone. (Using a mityvac helps here). Reassemble.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: Front breaks suddenly not working

Hi Dave,

Originally posted by DavesXS
      adjustment screw is all the way in.
      Any clues?
      If you mean the adjuster in the hand lever; it needs some free play to the end of the piston in the master. If you have the adjuster too far in, the piston won't clear the spooge hole, no fresh fluid can get in, and the line can't bleed.

Make sure there is a gap between the end of the piston and the tip of the adjuster screw and try again.

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Ok, I backed the screw just off the plunger. No dice. No need to pull calipers, and shove 2x4 in to prevent calipers from closing. They don't move. The lines have no pressure, and the handle has no resistance what so ever.
        With the reservoir cover off, working the break, I can see tiny little bubbles coming from the bottom.

fluid is getting into the line, and bleeds out, but no pressure, no resistance.

Comment

Would a master cylender from other bikes work. Like xs650, xs750, xs850, or the same year range?

I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-YA...spagenameZWD1V

Comment

Yes as long asa the bore of the cylinder is 5/8 or 11/16 of an inch. The bore size is usually found on the bottom of the M/C assy. You will be able to see it by looking at the under side of the M/C.

Comment

Thanks John,

Mine is 11/16. I messaged they guy and asked him to check. So either 5/8 or 11/16 will work right? Since its only 1/16th differance?

Comment

I got a rebuild Kit from georgefix on ebay for about 24 bucks. It works great. I had a little problem getting mine to pump at first after the rebuild so I took a needle from my ink cartridge refill and pulled a little air out of the cylinder. When I inserted the needle into the larger hole I pulled back on the needle and watched a bunch of air go into the needle. Then I used very short quick strokes on the handle and it all primed up nicely.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hey Dave,

I can't remember if this is the OEM front MC for the bike?

Did you read the tech tips about the spooge hole? Did you take the lines off of the MC during the work?

Some folks found that even with a NEW MC, they first had to bench bleed the MC alone without the lines attached. Just put their thumb/finger over the brake line hole and did the PUMPING ACTION until they felt pressure pushing their finger away. Then connected the lines, and bleed, etc.!

Did you have to clean out the MC much..lotsa of gunk???

Possibly a damaged piston cup allowing fluid to leak past??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                    Hey Dave,

I can't remember if this is the OEM front MC for the bike?

Did you read the tech tips about the spooge hole? Did you take the lines off of the MC during the work?

Some folks found that even with a NEW MC, they first had to bench bleed the MC alone without the lines attached. Just put their thumb/finger over the brake line hole and did the PUMPING ACTION until they felt pressure pushing their finger away. Then connected the lines, and bleed, etc.!

Did you have to clean out the MC much..lotsa of gunk???

Possibly a damaged piston cup allowing fluid to leak past??
                    T.C.
                    Thanks TC,

I didn't take it apart until everything was back together, and it was mounted on the handle bars. And that was to check fluid level after finding it not working, and bleeding a few min. I had it tied to the frame where the tank goes to keep it out of the way.
                    Makes sense if I have to prime it. It could have lost its prime if set the wrong way too long?
                    I didn't get that needle thing in the above post. I'll check the tech tips section.
                    I won't buy anything until I get the prime thing right.

Comment

If, when you squeeze and release the brake handle with the reservoir lid off, you don't squirt brake fluid up into the air, then your return (Spooge hole) is plugged.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oh boy... you had better cover the tank and faring with plastic if you are going to try that!
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I tried ev erything. The spooge holes are clear, it has very weak pressure when I place my finger over the hole. I primed it, put it back in and bleeded the mess out of it. Still only trickles out. It should shoot a stream when pumped up several times, and held down.

I found this guy. I messaged him to see if he has one that would be compatable. I told him the bore, only thing is the threads the bolt that hold the line goes into.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...3286.m14.l1318

Comment

Dave, if you choose to purchase a new MC, here is the one I bought for mine.

Master Cylinder Assembly
                            Master Cylinder Assembly - 16mm bore. - Recommended for late dual disc Front
                            brakes on 1977-84 XS650’s or single front disc brake (1972-76 650’s). Yamaha
                            OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and washers.

Part #08-0265 $79.00 USD EA.

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-chass...ategory_id=1.2

This one bled easy, Yamaha mirrors fit exactly, and it will stop you on a dime. Mike's also does not charge shipping.
                            Jim Horton
                            Myrtle Beach SC 29588
                            843-274-5045

Comment

My SF has a non-stock Yamaha MC. With the front brakes, I found that if you don't crank the handle all the way to the stop the sytem will begin to pressure up. Took me 3 hours and my son checking the internet to figure this out.

Darrell
                              Darrell
                              78E
                              80G project
                              06FJR

Comment

Working...
                              X