Bike Tear Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Tear Down

I am finally going to start on rebuilding my XJ. I would like to take it down to the bare frame and paint and powder coat everything. What I need is advice in the sequence which I use in stripping the bike down and then the sequence to use in reassembling it.

You want bolt by bolt or what??

I have had my bike pretty tore down before, but for some reason have always been afraid to take it to the bare frame. I'm afraid of scrwing up one or more of the wires, boxes, etc and not being able to figure out how it all goes back. The manual tells how to get it close, but I don't think it tells how to go to bare frame.

Good luck... wish I was more help.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'd get all new wiring harness and connectors. If you try to re use all the old, and things arn't working right, you'll never know witch connection it could be.

As far as sequence there is probly a few.
      Start at one end, and start stripping. Lay the parts off to the side in the same order they come off. You should be able to follow the parts in reverse ad put it all back. Label every thing. Or every thing you think you should. Probably don't need a label on the tail light, head light, seat...use common sense when placing your parts a side. Group things together that go together. Large groups, and smaller groups.

Hope that made some sense.

edit, put screws in parts they goto. If they won't stay, tape them to the parts.

Good luck

Comment

Take good pictures as you go along. Have a pen and pad to document the sequence so you can reverse it. Nothing worse when assembling and find you forgot a part and have to remove things again.

From the time you start disassemby and get down to the frame, it will be some time before you get back to the finishing sequences and things will be vague in your memory if you try to rely on memory.
        1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

I have been to the frame on motorcycles 3 times now and the results are well worth it. make sure you have a FACTORY manual so you have good reference as to where wiring and cables get routed. Take photos as necessary.
          When you take it apart put the parts in boxes and number the boxes so you can bring the parts out in the reverse order when you rebuild it. DO NOT rely on memory about any part of the job.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

1st wait till winter to take it apart
            but i guess thats a mute point down in texas

get a digital camera and take pictures of the stuff as you take it apart
            that is better than any manual, especially routing of wires and cables
            location of spacers, washers, or bushings

take it apart and lay it out on a table take a picture, then throw it into a small box or ziplock bag

with all the pictures you will have a good reference of how everything will go back togeather
            http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
            78E main ride, since birth the "good"
            78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
            78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
            79F Parts
            80G Parts
            75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Working...
            X