converting from carb. to fuel injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting from carb. to fuel injection

first post, would any one here be interested in a complete fuel injection system for xs1100 bikes. i have a 80 xs1100sg that I'm still trying to ride but the previous owner believed in mix-match game. and I'm tired of looking at it so i thought would throw out the carbs and convert it to fuel injection and spark control?
    yes
    40.00%
    no
    60.00%

The poll is expired.

I couldn't justify putting fuel injection on an XS. The whole purpose of owning an XS.......to play with carbs!
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

You can't triple clean fuel injection!

Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

I would love a fuel injection, with all the proper feedback loops and such. Obviously, cost would be a major consideration, but I believe fuel injection would make the bike run better and more efficiently. fuel economy would go up, all would be well. have a nice day and ride safe
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

For those who want to consider FI here's some reading material.....http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...n&pagenumber=1
          Ernie

Comment

XJ Fuel injection

Anyone who is interested in this topic should read Stan's XJ 1100 FI project notes at his web site:

http://www.hal-pc.org/~dhutch/

This is an outstanding piece of work.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I got my MS in the mail yesterday. I am only a few sensors and the fuel pump/regulator away from having everything.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Running FI

The next bike will go FI off a yamaha 1000CC fi Sled they run a bosh FI set up can take everything off and its programable. if i ever finish up all theprojects i ahve from other people lol i will do it just to see how it does but the carbs are so much fun .

John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

There is a bit more information on my FI setup HERE.

I hope to have it up and running later this year.
                  '84 Sport

Comment

Seems like a good idea but i like the idea of keeping things somewhat stock.If i wanted a bike with FI i would buy one if i had the money.I just got the bike running after a year of it not running.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Carbs

I was watching a local call in Auto fix it show where you can ask mechanics questions. One guy calls in about 70 Marquis that wouldn't start. Mechanic says it's probably the carb but "very, very" few people know how to fix them. Mechanic said he would have to look up who can do it and get back to him.
                      Ernie

Comment

I'd be interested but only because I plan to convert my 73 Datsun 240Z to FI when I get it going so I'd do the motorcycle as a "test" run. The motorcycle takes up a lot less space in the garage then the car does.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -
                        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                        My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

I vote, it depends on the cost. I've been thinking building something like this for XS11 and my Brand H bike too.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

FI....been done

http://www.hal-pc.org/~dhutch/

mro

Comment

Cost is what shelved my FI project. I decide my XS could benefit more from suspension improvements.

I am the last XS driver to discourage anyone's FI efforts. Go for it. But be clear about a few things.

Going to FI because it is too difficult to get the carbs to work right is a fallacy. If a person can not go through the process(es) to get their simple carbs to function properly, there is no hope for FI. If you are not a programmer, walk away. If you don't have a working knowledge of digital electronics, walk away. If you don't have fabricating skills and tools, again walk away.

Don't get me wrong, FI is fantastic technology that would definitely improve the performance of an XS. But, don't think it is a simple bolt on operation. The technology is relatively simple, the application is not.

What about reliability? what happens when it simply shuts off out in the middle of no where. Carbs may run bad, but they still run.

AND, don't think you are going to sell your efforts to the XS community. Many if not most are riding XS that they payed less than $1000 for. It is hard to justify dumping at least that much more into a fuel delivery system. Especially since a properly set up carb bank works pretty darn nice and the cost of used FI bikes is coming down.

I hope to get back to my FI project in the future, but for now my money is going to radial tires, inverted forks and seriously better brakes.

You pioneers that are pushing forward with FI, please continue to keep us posted.
                              DZ
                              Vyger, 'F'
                              "The Special", 'SF'
                              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X