which is a better idea??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is a better idea??

most of you know by now i blew the head out of my xs11. my Q is am i better off just replacing the engine or should i tear it down, rebuild it, and locate another head??? or just part it out?? (sob,sob)
    "i like anything fast enough to do something stupid in" vin diesel in XXX

depends on how good you are

I'd say rebuild it...but I am a bad example or a poor excuse of a mechanic...still I would seek to have it rebuilt...if thats not possible then there are always other alternatives...but I would first try to resurrect what i could...and replace the rest...sorry this happened ......the main thing is you love that bike so dont give up on it.I know its tough to look at it right now...BTDT.I dont want to give up on my bikes and right now one is not doing too good...however I have a plan and my bike will be running very soon...I've only had it 25 yrs.Even now I refuse to give up on it...its been good to me and now it needs some TLC.
    Last edited by madmax-im; 07-08-2008, 01:51 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

It depends

Bill,

Have you found out why your cam wasn't getting enough oil and snapped? Was it a one-time fluke from sitting too long or has the oil pressure left the the engine in Maine and retired to Florida?

Have you removed the head and looked at the tops of the pistons and cylinder bores?

If it's just a fluke from sitting too long and the rest of the engine is okay you can find another head and valve cover.

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I would tend to rebuld if the rest of the engine / transmission was OK. On the other hand, sometime you get lucky and find an untitled parts bike with a good engine for a few hundred. Lot depends on your particular situation.

Top end rebuild costs will go something like this:

Gasket set: $75.00
        Valves: $20.00 each
        Cam chain: $30.00
        Replacment cams: $50.00
        Valve lapping tool and compound: $20.00

You may need to get new valve adjustment shims, they run a couple bucks each.

So, budget around $250.00 and you would probably have a few bucks left over.

Gasket set includes head, valve cover, pick-up cover, and timing chain adjuster gaskets as well as new valve seals.

Price does not include machine work, like pressing in new valve guids if you go that route, or doing a 3-angle valve grind. Usually these are not needed, but if youwant a really fresh head you can go all-out. Will cost a bit more.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Depending on what you need I have a head that is missing one valve and has one bent. So if you has some good valves you can do what I did and make one out of two. If you are interested PM me.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X