Flasher unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher unit?

My indicator flasher unit doesnt work too well.(1980 XS1100) I used to fix it with a tap from a screwdriver but she doesnt respond now to such delicate persuation...Ive checked out an orig ex Yamaha & its $190. Also tried a few universal units ie Repco etc but no good--Any Ideas? Is there a cheap substitute??? Cheers, Chrisso
    80 XS11 Standard Australia

Most often the problem with flashers turns out to be bad electrical connections all over the bike. Start from the battery to make sure you've got clean connections at the battery terminals and at the ground attachment point. Then work your way "out", taking apart and cleaning every connection on the bike from front wheel to rear. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can also carefully open up the flasher and clean up the internal contacts.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Have you checked all your grounds and light sockets?
      The flasher unit is a machanical relay type and by tapping it you could get it to start blinking. In most cases there is a bad connection somewhere. With these old bikes if just one light is out it can cause the flasher to come on but not click.
      Just my $0.02 worth.
      Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
      XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Cheap fix

Hi Chrisso,
        What you got in Sydney that's equivalent to Canadian Tire? Go there and buy a generic two-prong electronic car flasher.
        $8.50 in Canada, probably ~$10 Australian.
        The 2-way flasher will plug into the 3-way flasher plug in two different ways. One way don't work. T'other way and it flashes.
        Note 1) The 3-way generic auto flasher won't work at all because it's wired differently inside.
        Note 2) With this cheap fix the signals won't self-cancel any more but that's the price you pay for not paying full whack for that solid gold Yamaflasher.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks Guys, lots to play with there
          80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Hi Chrisso,
            those other posts remind me that there's another thing to check, if the system itself is working. Try this:- Pull the flasher out of the 3-prong plug and shove a piece of wire into the slots in that plug where the tan & tan/white wires go. Now turn the bike on and work the signal switch. The signal lights on each side in turn should light up steady when you do that. If they don't your flasher may or may not be fritzed but there is definitely something wrong in the wiring.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

A few folks have restored the OEM flasher by gently removing the case, cleaning the contacts within, and reinstalling the case. Not designed for disassembly, but can be done with some care.

I happened to pick up a spare in a bone yard form an early '80s Virago, I think it was, that used the same self-cancelling flasher. Cost was $2.00.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

check the lamps

Check to make sure that your bulbs are of the correct voltage and wattage. The mechanical flasher units work on current flow. That is why if one bulb is out it won't flash and if you have lower than specified wattage bulbs, they won't draw enough either. I think the front ones (if you have double filament bulbs, are 1157's and the rear are single filament 1156's. These are both readily available at any auto supply or Walmart, etc.
                80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
                '68 Honda 90
                '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
                '75 Husqvarna 250CR
                '85 Kawasaki KLR250
                '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

Working...
                X