this sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this sucks...

Ok, finally got the carbs. figured out. New jets, gaskets, etc. they are pretty much new. Put them on the bike- everything connected. Started it up. It actually runs!

Now here's the problem. I've got no exhaust gaskets on the outer two cyllinders (gotta order some)... anyways- it spits oil out of the exhaust- I can see it on the pipe flange closest to the cyll. head- remember no exhaust gaskets... I held my hand on the left exhaust (inner most cyllinders)- no pressure at all. Lots of pressure on the right (outer most cyllinders) even without gaskets. I've got spark. I need to sync. the carbs, but I don't think that will change anything- I had the problem since before I worked on the bike. My question is- WHAT IS IT!!!???

Newish ignition box, coils are good, plenty of spark, getting gas... Going to run a compression test as soon as I can borrow a tool, and if it's got good compression I don't know what it might be. Please help!

Adam

Leaking oil... no compression.... Sounds like ring problems, but could be valve related. Only thing to do is do a compression check and find out where things stand.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I had an issue with oil coming out of the #1 cylinder exhaust at the head before I put new gaskets on the pipes. Think it is just worn valve seals, as it clears up when engine is warmed up. Bike has good compression and doesn't smoke after warming up.
      Again I have good compression.
      If bike runs good, something to consider.
      I Don't intend to do valve job anytime soon. Bike runs great.
      John
      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
      '78 CB750F ( The F)
      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
      Then: '76 CB550K
      '78 CB750F
      '84 VF1100S
      And still Looking!

Comment

like TRBIG said...

find out what the compression readings are. then check the valve clearances, then we'll go from there.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

jwaller- bike doesn't run good... that's the problem. Doesn't fire on the inner cyllinders. If it was running fine, I probably wouldn't have a problem riding it, just add oil! hmmmm... nickname it the CROPDUSTER! lol.

Other than that- i'm going to run a compression test and check everything out over the weekend, when I have time... if I have time... doesn't take long to check these things, anyways- will keep everyone posted. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X