Fuse Block Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Block Replacement

The old, grey, fuseclip ain't what she used to be... replacement is similar to the one in the Tips section:

Littelfuse makes a decent 80 Amp replacement:

Trim off the plastic tabs on the O.E.M. fusebox base and drill four holes to mount the new fuse holder. If you use the new fuse holder as a template to mark the holes before drilling they'll all line up. Here is the O.E.M. base after trimming and drilling but before cosmetic touchups:

Here are the parts before assembly:

Inspect the fit before cutting any wires or attaching terminals:

Check the position of the four circuits before you cut any wires:

Trim the fuse clip tabs to the correct length before mounting the fuse holder to the O.E.M. base by bending them with pliers at the hole. The metal is relatively hard so they'll snap right off:

Screw the fuse holder on the O.E.M. base and lock the nuts on the back with a your favorite thread locker, then trim the excess length off of the ends of the screws so they won't snag and ruin the wiring harness after the fuse box is mounted on the bike:

The terminals:

The solder:

Wires are soldered into the terminals and attached to the fuse clips. Notice the position of the terminal crimps after the wires have been soldered into them and 'rolled' up onto the terminal. Since the fuse clip tabs have been trimmed the terminals seat against the bottom of the fuse clip and leave enough room for the O.E.M. fuse box cover:

The stock AGX type fuses will fit, but the new fuse holder is designed to hold the longer and more common AGC type fuses:

Put the cover on the fuse box and ensure it fits:

That's all except for mounting the fuse box on the bike!

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

That's some nice work, but you should have converted to ATO (blade) fuses.

Comment

Thank you, John.

I thought about getting a ATO fuse block from TC, but whilst contemplating my own navel the ignition and starter circuit, which has been intermittant since I bought this bike, died out in traffic last Thursday. It would not start or stay running if it did start.

So much navel-gazing.

I'll be buying a ATO fuse block from TC (the flag connectors make removal and replacement of the fuse box a cinch) and a Tkat fork brace and a regulator/rectifier from Geezer, and some new... you get the idea.

In the meantime, I coaxed it home and pulled every wire, connector, component, exponent and opponent off of the bike and stripped everything down.

Right now I am troubleshooting the harness and components without waiting for parts or worring about the fuse box.

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Wish I would have been as creative. I don't know about the 1100G, but if you want to be able to put the side cover back on and you have an 82 1100J it won't fit without trimming the side cover. I tried about every method known to (XS) man and in the end just bought a new fuse block from parts and more and spliced the old short wires to the new. So far so good. Another .02
        KW
        1982 XJ1100J
        1980 XS850SG

Comment

I had to go with what was available at 5 PM the day before a holiday weekend.

Pep Boys had a five circuit ATO type fuse block but it was, like, really tall and long for a simple fuse block.

Forget about putting the sidecover on the bike, just put some wheels and tires on that puppy and ride the fuse block outta the store!

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

Comment

Great Tip! My Headlite wire was shorting at the Fusebox-I lengthened it & putin an inline fuse holder-seems to be holding up
            80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase
              I had to go with what was available at 5 PM the day before a holiday weekend.

Pep Boys had a five circuit ATO type fuse block but it was, like, really tall and long for a simple fuse block.

Forget about putting the sidecover on the bike, just put some wheels and tires on that puppy and ride the fuse block outta the store!

Regards,

Scott
              I get the impression you were a big fan of that TV show, "McGyver".

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH

I get the impression you were a big fan of that TV show, "McGyver".
                LMAO!

I only wish I was that good! Besides, MacGyver had the writers on his side so he wouldn't have needed wheels. The writers would have had him find a tiny pocket can of hairspray somewhere and zip-tie it to the fuse block for a JATO so he could fly out.

Regards,

Scott
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

Working...
                X