Blowing out the cobwebs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing out the cobwebs

I posted not too long ago with a 1980 SG that was bogging down in cruise mode. I'd be going along at 75-80 mph on the interstate and realize I was dialing in more throttle to keep up speed and it was running "flat" and not pulling.

2 years ago, I bought a 97 Bandit 1200s as my "get back into riding bike" and when I had it dyno'd to check A/F ratio and power, the dyno guy said "Man, that 3rd pull really cleared out the cobwebs". So, I decided what's good for the Bandit couldn't hurt the XS.

Took the XS for a ride a week ago, and wound her out like I had never done before while accelerating on the on ramp, about 7500-8000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd so not abusive in the grand scheme, but I felt real guilty! (BTW, the XS has a great bonus, the extra neutrals I seem to find as I shift in haste...)

Got to the off ramp, stopped at the light, and as I rode the 4 miles home at 45-50 mph on the highway, I swear it was purring along much smoother and just felt better.

I'll know as I get more miles on it, but it may have been the cure!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

The last bike I bought runs much better now that I have had it for a month than when I first got it. I have not touched it except to drive the snot out of it. The last owner didn't use it only coffee shop to coffee shop. It also gets much better mileage. I do that with all my bikes if they are gonna blow up let em do it right away.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Hmmmm ... good idea

I've got one that might could use this treatment .....
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

hbonser - couple of things. What kind of read are you getting on your spark plugs? Sometimes plugs can get fouled at low speeds and then seem to 'unfoul' themselves when run at high speeds. 75-80 mph should have been enough to solve this problem, however.

The other, and I think more likely thing, is fuel. Had the bike been sitting for a while before you noticed the problem? If so it could be a fuel issue - deteriorating fuel, water in the gas, etc. I run seafoam through mine periodically just to make sure the fuel system is clean and the gas is dry. Even if it has been run, it's possible to get a bad tank of gas every now and then - especially if you gas up when there's a tanker filling the stations tanks while you're fueling. It stirs up the dregs from the bottom of their tanks and you wind-up pumping it into your tank.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

dbeardslee- I have run many tanks through the bike at a 36 mpg pace since I got the bike in April this year. Tank is clean as a whistle, the previous owner took real good care of it. Put new plugs in asap when I got it, they are running clean as can be. In fact, I would like to see a bit more tan color on the center insulator after 650 miles, but basically are white in color with the electrodes being a nice clean black color. Header pipes are perfect chorome, no discoloration that would indicate XSive heat, etc.

I really think the carbs needed a good hard run. With the outside air temp being in the 80's finally in Colorado, the engine got plenty warm on that run as well. When I parked it, it made that nice "tinkle" sound as it cooled down in the garage.

thewiz- Give it a try, olebiker shares my sentiment that I finally gave in to... May as well uncover any weakness and blow it up now! I sure don't run it hard and hang it up wet, not my style, but the engine on a bike (IMO) isn't meant to troll around all day in the lower half of the rev range otherwise the top end circuit in the carb never gets "used" and maybe gunks up a jet or gets a bit of junk in there that compromises performance.

Definitely, blow the cobwebs out now and then for best results!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey Bonser,

You've discovered what I've tried to tell folks about the XS11. IT's a performance machine, and likes to run in the higher rpms. I OFTEN rap it up to 7.5-8.5k rpm, and run it in 4th at 60mph at times more than 5th.

There could also have been a fair amount of carbon buildup from the PO running it in the lower 1/2 of the rpms most of the time, along with like you said, local short trips where it didn't get a chance to reach full operating temps to BURN OFF the carbon, etc.! Congrats on getting it to behave, and enjoy the POWER!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No cobwebs

I don't think I have any cobwebs in mine. Hammer it hard all the time. Most bikes and all I have owned before would be garbage by now. These things can really take it and just to seem to love it.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Yeah, 10-4 on using it to make power!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Oh, BTW, when the tach swings past 6k the tach needle begins to "float" and then steadied out from 7k-8k. I am not worried about it since I don't spend much time there, but what's the consensus on that?
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

running better

Two things will help clean up a fuel system: 1) Sea Foam in the gas. 2 oz. per gallon. I use it all the time. 2) Lucas Fuel Treatment. Both help a bike run cleaner and stronger. Boost's mileage too.
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I've done all the seafoam, lucas gas treatment, etc. I've run some or both of the above in each tank since I got the bike . Not sure how much more of it would be needed to make a further difference.

I feel pretty good that running it hard up through the rev range helped clean it out. The fuel system cleaners, etc may well have helped loosen things up so they could be blown out.

Thanks guys, appreciate the ideas.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

pump it up

i ride my bike like i stoled it and it runs like
                        a thief in the nite.

as ever bill
                        bill hane

Comment

Prometheus pointed out in a previous thread that the carbs are made out of some pretty cheap metal. It oxidizes. When you start running 'em again some of that stuff comes off and goes floating through the carbs. I cleaned my carbs four times and ran many tanks of seafoam before I finally got all that crap out of the carbs. Just an FYI.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

stutter

I ran the snot out of frank last night on the way home from work, seems to have cleared up that low end stutter for the time being, I guess I need to hit 8k in 2nd gear more often.
                            Casey
                            1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                            "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

You're abusing your 11 by NOT taking it to 8k often. My bike may have had some cob webs when I got it, but none since My buddy who is into old porsches calls it the Italian Tune-up (I am italian ). He says take a car to red line in as many gears as you can. If it's been a while since the vehicle was ran that way, it runs better afterward every time.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X