I did not mix up the cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not mix up the cams

I stated in another thread that after reassembling the beast (bent valves and I decided to replace my clutch and cam chain). I got it together and had a very fast turning engine with no compression at all. I knew that everything had gone together right and thought that perhaps I mixed the cams up. Well today when I pulled the valve cover and hit the starter, crank turns with no movement of cams and chain. Doing the rebuild I did roll the engine manually twice to check that all marks were lined up as it says in the manual. Everything was fine. Somehow the cam chain must have been riding on its edge. I pulled the head after checking compression with the finger method. Seems like I have a bent valve on number 3 cylinder. Same as when I started all this. It is hard to believe that the cams would go around twice by hand and then as soon as I hit the starter poof off the sprocket. I did get the chain hooked on the sprocket and tried by hand to make it jump so I think the sprocket is ok. At first I thought it must be toast but that seems unlikely. What an exercise in frustration this is turning out to be.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Re: I did not mix up the cams

Originally posted by olebiker
    It is hard to believe that the cams would go around twice by hand and then as soon as I hit the starter poof off the sprocket. I did get the chain hooked on the sprocket and tried by hand to make it jump so I think the sprocket is ok.
    That's because there is a 99.9% chance the chain was not on the sprocket. Rather, it was wedged next to the sprocket. Turning it over by hand won't make it slip, but turning it with the starter will make it slip in a heartbeat. You're not the first person to do this. You're not even the first person to do this in the past week.

Sorry...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

That's ok but how on earth do you keep this from happening?

Comment

- do this with the bike on the centrestand so the chain hangs vertically
        - use a good flashlight to look down and verify that the chain is in fact on the sprocket
        - once you know it is on the sprocket, wire both sides so there is absolutely no way it can go slack while you proceed with the assembly
        - pray to the XS gods, and maybe sacrifice a virgin for good measure
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
          - do this with the bike on the centrestand so the chain hangs vertically
          - use a good flashlight to look down and verify that the chain is in fact on the sprocket
          - once you know it is on the sprocket, wire both sides so there is absolutely no way it can go slack while you proceed with the assembly
          - pray to the XS gods, and maybe sacrifice a virgin for good measure
          **** I am in trouble. Where do I find a virgin?

Comment

Easy

Look for an ugly 6th grader...
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hole jees no I am in Canada. They don't make it to that age.

Comment

I bought a head from ebay once that had a mismatched valve in it. The length to the keeper notch was just a little "off". The valve had no resulting compression.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by olebiker

**** I am in trouble. Where do I find a virgin?
                  I never said it would be easy!
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Oh well I now have lots of valves. Two heads. Hopefully I will be able to use one from the old head and just lap it in. Set the shims and try again. I will reuse that head gasket as it didn't run should be ok. I used pam on all the gaskets except the head gasket. It came apart ok though.

Comment

Manual Compression Check

Not sure exactly how. Can I check compression and get accurate results by hand. I have the motor on a stand and want to know if I should take the motor down or not. Cams look really good, hate to pull the head off for nothing.
                      Gene (Florida)
                      1980 XS1100SG
                      Accel Coils
                      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by gene View Post
                        Not sure exactly how. Can I check compression and get accurate results by hand. I have the motor on a stand and want to know if I should take the motor down or not. Cams look really good, hate to pull the head off for nothing.
                        I don't know how you could turn it over fast enough. Maybe one of the other guys has done this.

Comment

With it all assembled, you could do a leak down test. The motor does not spin over for this. Not quite the same as a compression test, but it can tell you a lot of other things about your motor.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                          X