of course a carb problem.sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• of course a carb problem.sorry

ok i have had nothing but problems with my carbs.i have them all cleaned and bench synced and i think the floats set right.#4 carb when i turn the fuel on starts pouring gas out all the vent holes on the air cleaner side.i checked the float and it does not have a hole.the needle is clean.it is set the same as all the other carb's and the float level is perfect on them.with the bowl off and moving the float by hand and blowing into the fuel line the needle justs off my air that i am blowing thru.what is wrong with is i am tired of these carbs and want to ride it.i have drove it 5 miles since i bought it 2 1/2 months ago.
    81 SH for 300 bucks,work in progress.
    87 dodge d-50,35's,lockers fr&rr,fun.
    87 dodge d-50,35's,open diffs,wifes.
    89 dodge spirit,low 17's 1/4mile w/o turbo.

What type of float valve seats do you have? If they are the type that have o-rings (NOT the threaded type), fuel will leak past the o-rings even if the needle is fully seated. I had the same problem with mine leaking fuel out of the air vent hole. O-rings are readily available from auto parts stores...just make sure that you get thetype that will hold up in gas.
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

your float is probably getting stuck on the side of the bowl or the float is falling too far and letting the needle valve get jammed side ways. If you do a few searches you can find the pictures of the needle valve falling to far down.

Basically you want the float to allow the needle valves to only fall a mm or 2, any more and they can get jammed.

Someone else said that their gaskets were a little to wide and the floats were hanging up on the inside edge of the gaskets.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

i am thinking of sticking the needle and float into carb 3 then if 3 leaks i know it is the needle or float.becouse when the carbs are off the bike it seems to work perfect.

Comment

so far so good. neither leaked.it got to dark out side to check the the float level.i will try to fire it in the morning.i just got done charging the batt.

Comment

Make sure the seats are super clean where they sit.My #2 carb leaked out of the same holes .I took off the float and took off the seat.Underneath was a bunch of brown sludge that definitely was clogging the little screen.I replaced the seats with new ones after cleaning out where the sludge was.I also sprayed the new seat with WD-40 and popped them in.I think that if you try and put the seat in without lube it might do something bad to the o-ring.I have not had a problem with that carb since i replaced and cleaned out the seat.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

it will run at full choke but if i take the choke to 1/2 it dies and wont stay running.

Comment

runs like crap and only with full choke but i did put 7 miles on it.i could not help myself.

Comment

I would think that the carbs still are not completely cleaned.I had to do mine at least 4 times.IMO
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

If you clean the carbs again, check the spooge hole in the bottom of the carb bowl. That was messing up my idle and making it hard to adjust. After cleaning my carbs multipe times I didn't know it was there until I was told about it. It is at the bottom below the vent hole that lines up with the hole in the gasket.
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

i will take a look thanks.i put another 13 miles on it tonight.got it up to 75.

Comment

Working...
                      X