seafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seafoam

Is it good to run seafoam through an xj every once and a while???
    It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

Won't hurt anything if you mix it like the directions tell you to, you can even go a bit stronger but unless your having problems you shouldn't need to.

That said if your riding the bike regularly you really shouldn't need to run seafoam except maybe once a year as a preventative type thing.

Its purpose it to dissolve deposits that form when gas evaporates, if your riding it then there is always "fresh" gas and little to no deposits form.

I also wouldn't recommend running it in the oil, some swear by it but I've never seen good results from it, and never tried it on a bike.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

from what everybody says....

it's a good preventive measure.
      i was sceptical at first, as always, but after trying it in various situations, am quite pleased with the stuff.
      i've related this story before, but it's a good testimonial.
      new triumphs come shipped with fuel in the carbs. they would never start and oft' i'd have to pull the carbs and clean them.
      i then started draining the float bowls and pumping in a 50/50 mixture of seafoam and then would continue to prep the bike. about an hour later, i'd hit the button, and she'd fire right up... running on all cylinders, which was a rarity for a bike right out of the crate.
      seafoam may be no different than any other fuel additive, but i see no reason to switch brands.
      so there...
      the great prometheus has spoken.

to further what psychoreefer stated: i don't care for oil additives.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

My xj that I just got runs fine and idles fine and I was going to run one tank through it because it was sitting for a year before I got it just for extra measure.
        It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

I'd say that if you feel that its running fine and it was sitting for a year before you got it then go ahead and run a tank or two through it. You might be surprised how much better it runs after. BTW one can of sea foam = several tanks on a bike. One can mixed as recommended will treat like 50 gallons or something.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Thanks for the info!!

Comment

With the crappy gas that's available now, I think it's good to run some through every couple months. Along with its cleaning properties, seafoam is also a gas dryer. I recently discovered that my gas tank drain pipe has an internal hole in it. It started sputtering which I attributed to water getting into the gas tank. Sealed the pipe on both ends and added about a cup of seafoam to the tank and bye bye sputter.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Seafoam in oil

I have only used Seafoam in my oil on the center stand ,running , for about 20 minutes with a fan. I rev it a bit and go through the gears a bit . After I change the oil . Its just a cleaner and not meant for everyday used in oil AFAIK .

XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                Progressive fork springs
                CIBIE headlight reflector
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

stuff did wonders on klonk that sat 15 years, only thing you might want to put filters in line: there is only one way out for all the gunk from the inside of the petcocks - mine clogged twice.
                  Last edited by greg maz; 06-30-2008, 12:51 PM.
                  82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                  No longer active member.

Comment

Seafoam in fuel

I also use Seafoam in the gas as a stabilizer (full can) all winter long . I run a half can per tank before a tune-up to make sure no build-up affects my tuning.
                    If I had a bike that sat for a while I would add a full can to the tank after it went on reserve . I would run it long enough for the mixture to get into the carbs . Then let it sit as long as possible (overnight at least) to get the full effect .I've heard sitting for a week does some reall magic but its pretty amazing at any length of time .
                    XJ1100K
                    Avon rubber
                    MikesXS black coils
                    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                    MikesXS front master
                    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                    Progressive fork springs
                    CIBIE headlight reflector
                    YICS Eliminator

Comment

Like Axel I will run a bit of it the crankcase for a few minutes just before an oil change. It does a good job of getting the crud out of the crankcase. It also seems to make the clutch work better. Somebody posted a video here from the Seafoam company of the all the correct ways to use it. I tried doing what they said on our old beater of a 2nd car. A 1984 Bonniville. It really did make it run very much better. Especialy that part where you pour it in the carb at idle untill it dies. Let it set for 15 minutes or so and then start it back up. Made a really big cloud of smoke. Aftter doing all the things they said I had to set the idle back down a couple hundred rpm's. But it startes better and seems to have more power.
                      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Try this link
                        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=seafoam&hl=en
                        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

used it on many bikes and cars!!! it's great!
                          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                          xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                          8mm msd wires
                          tkat fork brace...
                          Fox shocks...
                          mikes650 front fender
                          led's gallore...
                          renthal bars
                          gold valve emulators
                          vmax tensioner
                          Rifle fairing

Comment

I Love the stuff! Have used it for many years!

Deny
                            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Thanks for all the great replys I think im going to run a tank through to see what it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X