Voltage question about tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage question about tach

I pulled my carbs the other day for a spring cleaning and when I re-installed everything, my tach won't go above 2000 rpm! It had a little bounce between 4-5000 before I did the carbs, but ran up all the way to 8000 at least.
    I bought a can of cleaner from the Shack and have emptied the can into the housing. (even holding it lens up some managed to get on the glass)
    I have searched the tips and measured my voltages. Charging circuit is fine. between white and black (tach hookup wires in bucket) I am reading 8.5-9 VAC. I read it should be 5-7 VAC.
    Any ideas on why mine is running high?? I have looked at all my connections and regreased them with dielectric. None look like they have melted or have corrosion. Could my rectifier be going out? Should I just buy Geezers unit?
    HELP ME PLEASE!! I want to ride this some this summer, the Harley isn't as comfortable for long trips and it doesn't have a rack to carry stuff on. It's fun to ride, but it's NOT my XS!!
    I wanted to ride to Dennyz last night just to give Prom a hard time, but got tangled up trying to get my tach to work I thought about rolling down on my Dyna, but didn't want to get lynched by my fellow XSives
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

BUMP

No one can explain the voltage differance???? Have I stumped the masters??
    I guess it's a good thing I took the tach apart and cleaned it up, 'cuz it works again!!Now I just have to fix the bezel that I cut to get into the darn thing.
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Sounds like the problem my tach is having. It was working about 90% of the time, then about 40%, then quit all together. An inop tach isn't about to keep me from riding though, why would your's?

It's easy enough to go by sound and feeling to know when to shift.

I'll be paying attention to this thread for any replies just so I can hopefully get it working again. I did by a rectifier and a secondary lighting box off of ebay in hopes of clearing up some of these minor issues including no high beam light either but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. If I get off my butt and install them and they do clear up the problem, I will let you know. Since my low beams work, I've been fine but to be honest, I haven't rode at night since I got the bike running a couple of months ago.

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

It is pretty common for the XS tach to get jumpy. I believe the general consensus is that the movement lube get dried out and sticky.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

My tack got jumpy so I figured I would change it out with one of the others I have here, That one works OK for a few days and then it also started to jump around so I don't think the tack itself is the problem.
          I do remember reading on here somewhere that the tack jump may be related to inconsistent voltage supply so check your volt regulator / refractor and charging system. that's where I will be looking next time I have time to do it.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I already checked my voltages and got the readings above. It just seemed a bit high from the spec and was curious as to what may cause the reading to be high.
            As for the jumpiness I had before the carb clean and then it wouldn't go over 2000RPM, both problems went away after I split the bezel and opened her up. The innards were pretty clean, and I had a spider web on the face of the tach I hadn't noticed. I emptied a can of cleaner onto the moving parts and put it back together. That seemed to clear up both problems!
            I just went for a spin around town and that baby is rock solid again. Most of my low end hesitation is gone also. One more time through the carbs and it should be good from 1000-2500 RPM again
            Next up is to try and mount the Pacifico fairing I picked up a couple months ago!
            1979XS100SF
            2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Great news! Now get out there and enjoy your bike. Just stay safe.

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
              X