Pie Run ends in tragedy for my xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pie Run ends in tragedy for my xs1100

Took the xs1100 on a Pie Run to Hico TX today from Crockett. Took a lot longer to get there than expected. Anyways, over the past few trips I've been noticing a strange sound like when you're sharpening an axe on the grinding wheel but muffled a little. Thought at first it was my rotors grinding against the slots at certain speeds so I tore that down and re-aligned everything about a week ago. It sat until today when I hopped on it and took off for Hico. The noise came back but would only happen around 45mph. At 70 it was ok. So I went 70 and all was well. made it ok to the Koffee Kup in Hico (albeit late). On the next little leg to Dublin (to see the Dr. Pepper distribution plant tour) thing got a little worse. I lost power completely for about 2 sec. It was almost like i'd pulled in the clutch. Power came back and all was ok. But I had my daughter on the back and promptly started to pull over and let her ride in the minivan with the rest of the family. (Yes, they followed me in the minivan so they could get some pie and Original formula Dr. Pepper) As I was pulling over it happened again but this time i heard a clunk and a little grinding. killed the engine real quick and hopped off. At first i thought the crossover pipe or something had fell off and was dragging but nothing was out of place. I gave it a few minutes and started her back up then proceeded to Dublin without any more problems. On the way back from Dublin going home it started sounding worse. When I was in low gears and just rolling about 10mph i could hear the transmission making a noise like a bunch of nuts and bolts rolling around. Then the "axe grinding" noise started widening to pretty much any speed. It never did it when the clutch was pulled in though so it's definitely the transmission. The topper was when it completely disengaged internally and, even thought it will shift, there is no power coming from it and it's making the nuts and bolts sounds real bad when rolling. So I made it there and halfway back. AAA is picking it up right now and will have it to my driveway by 3 AM. Long day and late night for me.

So, to sum up. Axe grinding noise got worse until it was all speeds. Tranny finally disengaged. Will shift but not transfer power to the rear wheel. Engine still runs great (albeit rich and with low mpg's).
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Bummer

Does sound like gear problem.
    Would drain oil in to a clean pan and see if any hard parts happen to come out with it.
    Then drop the oil pan for a look.

mro

Comment

Luckily, trany parts seem to go cheap on the Bay. We'll be here to coach you throught the fix and back on the road .
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Tear it down, fix it, how hard can it be? after all I managed to do it, can't be that big a challenge?
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Are you sure it is not the final drive?
          Ken Talbot

Comment

How can I tell if it's the final drive?

Symptoms are that it will shift but not turn the wheel. It will roll, in gear, but sounds like a rock tumbler. (remember those polishing drums you could put rocks in and listen to it grind away for 3 days?)

I guess I'll open up the Clymers and check it out. I'm decent with know what the engine parts, carbs, brakes and other various things are and what they do. Transmissions and final drives are the last frontier so to speak. It's an unknown territory for me.

Comment

Originally posted by manshack_one
              How can I tell if it's the final drive?
              The first clue to this would be "when was the last time you checked the fluid level in the final drive?"

Pop it up on the centrestand and try spinning the rear wheel by hand with the engine off. If if makes the sound in neutral, or in any gear with the clutch pulled, then it is probably the final drive.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

You've caught me red handed there Ken. I've never checked it since I bought it a year ago. For all I know it could be bone dry. I'm letting it sit up today and I'll get back on it during the week. But it made that sound in gear while pushing it up my driveway so you may be right on the money with that diagnosis. Which makes sense as it would shift, but not turn the wheel.

Comment

Hey Manshack,

Let's hope it's the final driveshaft splines, easier to fix than the tranny. You're not alone, even Guru's can fall victim, see Jerry's thread

Good Luck
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                    Let's hope it's the final driveshaft splines,
                    Yes, that would be even better!
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

I have 5 shafts and a dozen finals here if you need one.
                      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

I heard one ..

that sounded like what you're describing .... turned out that bolts from the d. shaft to the middle gear flange had let loose .... awful sound, but a pretty easy fix.
                        80G Mini-bagger
                        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Since I'm at work and don't have access to my Clymers, what all will be involved in getting the final drive removed for inspection?

Comment

Remove the 4 nuts holding the final drive to the swingarm. Remove upper and lower shock mount nuts and remove the shock. Pull the final drive away from the rear wheel and swing arm.
                            Paul
                            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                            1979 XS1100 Standard
                            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

this is another reason why I love my bike. Pull a couple nuts and the parts basically fall off.

Comment

Working...
                              X