Bike Idles at 1000, but blip throttle and rockets past 4k and stays or climbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Buzz,

I just remembered about someone with this type of problem, and it turned out to be a sticking throttle cable. Have you checked your cable for free movement/binding, and when you blip it, and release it, can you watch your carbs/throttle plate to see if it is actually returning the butterflies to closed?? Perhaps its sticking open, being held for a while by the cable until it finally slips and releases the throttle plate/butterflies!?!?! Just a thought!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well.... I just found MY particular problem.... with the rpms climbing and hanging after blipping the throttle. I feel rather silly now after finding it though. LOL

I found the issue when I was removing my carb bank yet again. As I was loosening the carb boot clamp on #3 carb.... I noticed the throttle linkcage drop just a hair when I got to a particular spot with the clamp screw. After carefull inspection... I found the the back end of the clamp screw when fully tightened would rub on the side of the throttle linkage and when the throttle was blipped.... would slip under it and act as a throttle stop of sorts. Not much mind you.... but enough to cause troubles. I did not notice this because when the bike was idling high.... I would push down on the throttle linkage and it would not make any change. The screw end was solid enough to act as a good stop. What apparently happened was that when I would tighten the clamp.... it would shift and rotate slightly and push the screw against the throttle linkage. I held it firmly in place this time as I tightened it up with the clamp screw well out of the way.
      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Working...
      X