Fork Ear Noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Ear Noise?

I am having some issues with the fork covers or ears that wrap around the fork and hold the headlight. They rattle and it has finally driven me to the point of needing to fix it.

I used the search feature, and although I was unable to find a solution I found some references to a rubber bushing and trim ring. Are these normally visable as I cannot see them on my bike. I also cannot see them on the schematics. Is the upper tree intended to hold these in place? I have almost an 1/8 of an inch between the top of the cover and the upper tree. If I loosen the tree and push it against the cover would I need to adjust my steering bearings?

Any suggestions?
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Sounds like you are missing the upper and lower trim rings along with the rubber bushing that goes behind each.
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Thanks! That is what I figured when I read some of the other threads.

Any ideas on either the part #s as I cannot find a listing for them looking at the schematics. Or better yet a way to rig them up so that I don't have to listen to the rattle when I go riding tomorrow?
      Dave
      1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

A little piece of duct tape or electrical tape?

How about a small dab of silicone, something you can remove when you get the rings.

I have some extras here. Shoot me your address and I'll send them to you.

Paul
        Paul
        1983 XJ1100 Maxim
        1979 XS1100 Standard
        1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

If all else fails, you can slip a large O ring over the tube before you slip the ear on. It will barely be noticable. Also, some of the ears are double walled, and you may have one wall vibrating against the other, and that could cause a rattle also.

Comment

Paul and John,

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to attempt to use silicone as a temporary fix tonight. Paul, check your mailbox as a sent you a message.

Thank You,

Dave
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

I used silicone as was suggested as a temporary fix. It worked great. I took an approx. 200 mi test ride including some lovely rain and the darn thin does not rattle

Thanks Guys!
              Dave
              1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Go Go Goshen

Hi Dave,
                if the silicone fails and you can't find the proper parts, O-rings may work. But don't use O-rings, use Goshen Tetraseals instead. Tetraseals are made to fit in O-ring grooves but they are square in cross section so they will make a better fix.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

Thanks for the infomation! Blue giant said that he would send me the needed parts. Yeah Paul!!! For my other o-ring needs where do they sell Goshen Tetraseals?

Dave
                  Dave
                  1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Tetraseals

Hi Dave,
                    Goshen first marketed them but everybody makes them these days. Try this:-
                    http://www.darcoid.com/includes/tetr...seals---1.html
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X