How to advance timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not retarded

only interested in advancing for better fuel economy....a hotter sparking coil is key
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Yeah I know...

Leo,

You are absolutely right with all that you said. Slower burning fuels (ie. gasoline) should not be run in an engine that has the timing set closer to TDC.

I still need to retard the timing for my mod...
      1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
      4 to 2 Exhaust
      K&N Pod Filters
      Fuel Filters
      Inline shut off valves
      Slotted Rotors
      My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
      Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Well, timing is just that...timing.

Making any move in leaps and bounds can cause plenty of unwanted effects. The fuel charge you give your motor will burn at a consistant rate no matter what RPM the motor is turning. The trick is to light off the fuel charge at just the right time for optimum combustion to occur just after the piston has passed TDC, to take advantage of the expanding gasses. So lighting the fuel has to be done before the piston reaches TDC. That is why the timing is generally advanced as the RPM rises because the time inteval is shortened. Advancing too much will cause a knock that can be damaging and will also give a noticable rise in engine temp because the fuel/air mix is in the chamber longer. If you retard too much then your engine temp will probably be lower but you must be sure that the fuel charge has enough time to totally burn before the valve overlap event occurs. Its like the old saying, sometimes less is more.

On a stock motor I see no reason to advance the spark very much if at all. If you have mods that let more fuel AND air mixture in or if you are changing cam timing or upping compression ratio then perhaps a change in the TIMING CURVE (not just the initial timing) will be warranted.

But like I wrote in my post up above, if you are really trying to dial in your timing for the optimal setting you really need to do it with a degree wheel because the stock timing wheel is too small and not accurate enough. If you loosen the bolt you can probably rotate it back and forth 4 or 5 degrees.

Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

How to advance timing

*I had a Volkswagen with an electronic ignition and the shop said there is nothing to it. The Boss [at On N Off Road Haus; 165 W 2100 S; Salt Lake City, UT 84115; Phone: (801) 486-3817] said he had been fixing those for years and there is never any problem. Advance it until the engine starts and then adjust it until it sounds good.
          *I was fixing my xs and the Postman stopped and said, "that's a nice bike - have you heard about all of the power they get out of those by advancing the ignition?" I didn't think much of it but I got to thinking the parts were all harmless so I advanced it. Yesterday, I looked at the plugs and they were nice and brown. I would say judge by the color of the plugs if you have advanced too far. Remember too much advance means excessive heat and related engine damage.
          [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
          X