Leaded or Unleaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaded or Unleaded

I have seen a few forum talking about the uses of different octane in your bikes. I just purchased a 78 xs1100e a month and a half ago and it is finally ready for the road. Is it ok that I use unleaded gas in my bike? I dont think any gas station around me still sells leaded fuel.

Originally posted by 78yamahaman

Is it ok that I use unleaded gas in my bike
    Yes.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

And the regular unleaded should work just fine... no need for the expensive stuff unless it starts pinging... but it shouldn't.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I usually run midgrade in mine...

and usually John fills up first when we go out together... so I pull into the pump and get the midgrade nozzle... and he says...
        "We use regular unleaded"
        "Oh yes?"
        "Yes"
        So apparently, when I'm with him... I also put the lesser grade in... and it runs just fine...

I never even thought about these things having been built to run on leaded gas.... It's been so long since I've seen it available... almost forgot it used to be an option...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Leaded.?.

My side cover states for my "engine family"
          Regular (Leaded)
          Research octane 91 min.
          ??????

Oh it's a '81 also.
          Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Thanks guys for the answers. I appreciate it. When a guy at work told me I had to run leaded gas in it I went into panic mode. Like I said its not even available to purchase around here. Thanks again.

Comment

It was posted recently somewhere that the way the formula was figured the old way to the new way, that the new 87 octane is basically the same as the old leaded 91 octane... just minus the lead. It was also stated somewhere that the design for these engines allows you to use just about everything except a combination of dead rats and kerosine..

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

No doubt. I get in debates with the ignorant masses all the time about fuel grade and how if your car isn't designed for it, you don't need and will see no benefit from, higher grade fuel.

As for running on anything, for those folk that have been around a while, remember the guy across the pond that converted hi XS to LPG? LINK
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Recent Gas thread

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=18070

PS: I will try the dead rats and kerosene this weekend and post the results.....lol
                  1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

Well I dont know alot about the R+M/2 method of calculating octane but what I do know is that 30 years ago when these things were made the quality of gasoline was not what it is today. Many think the lead additive was to 'cushion' the valve seat but actually it was to help curb detonation that was prevalant in gasoline and carbureted cars back then, to keep pinging at bay. The refinined quality of gasoline these days is leaps and bounds over what it once was.

87 works just fine in my 79 special and after many years of unleaded gasoline my valve seats looked perfect last time the head was off.

So I say that as a rule of thumb, if it ain't knockin...use 87 and save the $.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                    X