XJ running like (*&^

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ running like (*&^

Took off for a short ride across town to a clients. Bike started and ran beautifully, in fact better that it had in awhile. Rode about 15 miles. Later headed home. Bike started fine, went about 2 miles and lost all power and sounded like crap. I think I was only running on 3 cylinders if that many. The idle dropped to around 500 rpm, if it idled at all, and had almost no power. I have not had a chance to look into it yet, will start by pulling the plugs in the morning to see what they look like. Then I guess carbs...ugh. Any suggestions as to what to check would be appreciated so I am not blindly poking around.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Re: XJ running like (*&^

[lost all power and sounded like crap. I think I was only running on 3 cylinders if that many.B][/QUOTE]

Probably running on two. Spritz the pipes and see how many and which ones are cool. If 1-2 or 3-4 are cool, you're looking at fuel delivery problems such as plugged filter, kinked fuel line, etc. If 1-4 or 2-3 are cool, you're looking at spark problems probably relating to broken a pick-up coil wire.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

It's probably really tore up and not worth fixing... When do you want me to just come pick it up?

Altough you can't rule out a wire on the pickup coils where it may have rubbed against the cover, the timing plate on the XJ's doesn't move like the XS... it's all electronic.

But yeah, that is the first step.. to see which one(s) aren't firing.

Let us know...

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

xj

Hi, not to sound crazy but are your petcocks turned to on, with full gas tank. When these xj's starve for gas they give your symptoms. Check gas filters if clogged, vacuum lines are all connected. Also,the tank check to see if its vented ok- or open the filler to see if it runs better. Pull the plugs and check their color.....good luck, Mike
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will start checking into it this morning. Would be nice if it is something simple. I did put in inline filters so i will check them first.

Sorry Tod, not really ready to give up on it yet. You would just tear it apart and use it for parts anyway right. BTW there is an xs11 engine on craigslist here in KC.
          Harry

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Harry,

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I don't think you need to worry about PU coil wires. The XJ's don't move, ALL of the timing advance is controlled by the TCI/black box. BUT it could be an ignition/spark plug coil going bad!? Again, will depend on your diagnostics like Ken said. Hope it's something simple like your fuel lines...since that was one of the things you had done to it with the filters!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Randy's test

Randy's page has a good test to determine if its the TCI ,pickups OR on the coils side. Double click on the vid link for the full 39 sec video

http://home.ptd.net/~theragos/index.htm
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Looks like I have a problem with my TCI box. I have lost 2&3. Fuel system seems fine. I am going to try and take it apart and see if it needs some soldering as Randy's page shows.
                Harry

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have removed and looked at the TCI. I do not see any of the solder connections that look suspect. I cannot seem to get the circuit board out of the housing to look at the other side and did not want to put too much pressure on the board. I have checked the coil pickups wires and they look good. I have tried to trace the wires from the tci to the pickups and keep losing them. When I run the test as shown on Randy's site, I get a good test on the orange coil with a drop down to 1.4 volts. On the gray side I only get a drop to 9. Is this normal or does anyone know what that indicates?
                  Harry

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Harry,

You're on the right track, Gray is for 2/3. You DO NOT remove the board from the TCI box, the connectior pins are soldered in and they hold the board in place. If you try to pry the board up, you will crack it and create more problems.

It seems that you need to resolder AT LEAST the gray coil lead. I don't have the pinout for the XJ TCI, but i think you should re-solder all of the connector pins anyway, couldn't hurt!

Take a good look at the photos on my web page and re-read it carefully. I hope the re-solder works for you. Keep us posted!

Comment

XJ wiring diagram

Maybe thats how I screwed mine ! I removed the circuit board and re-soldered everything .

http://members.cox.net/topcatgr/files/XJWIRESM.zip

TCI is upper middle for pinout
                      XJ1100K
                      Avon rubber
                      MikesXS black coils
                      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                      MikesXS front master
                      Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                      Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                      Progressive fork springs
                      CIBIE headlight reflector
                      YICS Eliminator

Comment

thanks for the replies, I will give it a shot. Is it normal for all of these connections to have a little spot of blue paint on them. Just thought it was sorta weird. I will let you all know how it comes out.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Harry, dumb question, but before you dove into the TCI, you checked all of the other connectors, right?

Comment

A couple of years ago my bike started running on just 2 cylinders. I can't remember if it was 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, but it was an ignition problem. Checked every thing out, could not find anything. I had a spare set of coils so I thought try switching them out. When I went to remove the current set the nut had come lose from the front anchoring bolt. Installed a replacement nut and LOCK washer and no more problems. BY the way you can go around 70 on the freeway with just 2 firning. The worlds biggest 550.
                            78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                            2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I only took mine at 60. Was afraid of messing it up more. I did check all of the connectors that I found. With the harness being wrapped it is hard to find where everything is run. I re-soldered all of the connections on the board and no change. What would I need to check on the ignition? It has been a beautiful day here in KC and I am working on my bike instead of riding. I like working on the bikes but would rather it be my choice.
                              Harry

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X