Choke is still being funky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke is still being funky

Re-posting this in the appropiate space.

Hey all gurus,

After tweaking and teasing my restore project now for over a year, the 2 remaining issues are:
    Choke action on my 80SG is still defeating me, and the speedo is still squeeling and showing about 15miles less then it should over 50 mph.
    Choke:
    I had the carbs out at least 4 times, and she is now purring, balanced, and has lots of power.
    But cold starting is still embarrassing. My other '79 bursts into life in 1/2 second flat with the choke out, but the 80SG I have to crank for 6-10 seconds, and then it sputters into existence in a most disgraceful manner.
    Before I take out the carbs one more time, can somebody please tell me what passages to focus on (I do know that the thin tube coming from float bowl tiny opening at bottom goes to the diaphragm area and on into the choke space to hole in throat), or better, how to effectively get whatever is blocking out of there . So far I used carb cleaner and/or WD40 to spray into passages and blow out after a few minutes with compressed air.
    Should I take a needle/poker to the passages?

On the speedo, I used silicon spray to lubricate behinf reed switch. Mistake? Not effective for long for sure.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Jürgen
    80 1100SG with 79 engine
    79 1100F being restored
    78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
    Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Jurgen, you want to focus on the orifice in the bottom of the float bowl. Read all about it, complete with pictures, in this thread You may need to use a fine piece of wire to get the orifice clean. Be careful not to ream it out by using a small drill bit or you will get it too big. When you've got it done, you will be able to see light through it like in the photos.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I'll keep at it

I'll keep at it
      Thanks you guys for the pointers.
      I will try opening the idle mix screw first this morning, it sure is cold (and rainy) enough to make la Nina proud here at the coast.
      If that does not help, I'll go back into the float bowls. I did not miss the spooge hole in there on my last rounds of cleaning, I usually spray in carb cleaner and make sure I get an eye full through the other side.....But as you say, it may be not big enough yet. I bought some "Dunk"and might let the bowl soak over a day or so before I get out a poker to ream it out.

Time is on my side, as I often tell myself.
      This Chicago bike has been a very tough teacher in the disciplines of patience and self control: it seems that nearly none of my first repair attempts on the various issues I resolved this last year ever took right away,it usually took at least 2 or 3 runs at it.
      My strategy: Do not expect it to be any different, and roll with the "learning experience".
      Maybe it will make me a better mechanic when I grow up...

78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
      Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

Working...
      X