80 sg carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 sg carb problem

I recently cleaned my carbs on my 80 sg and when I was reassembling them I got to the spring on the starter jet lever. I didn't know how it went back. I thought since it was a spring that it should put tension on the bar that connects to the four carbs. That made me have to hold the lever out when starting the cold engine. On my 78 e and 79 sf the lever stays out until I push it in. I took the spring loose and that didn't take the tension off the slider bar. It still wants to close. Where did I go wrong? The way I start the other two bikes, I pull the lever out and when the rpms goes high from the warming of the engine I push it in half way and then later all the way. How is it supposed to work. You are not supposed to have to hold it are you? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sam

Are you sure the spring goes on the choke rod? Is it a small coil spring? Did you find a small ball bearing in the carb with it? I'll bet it goes into a carb body, I can't recall which ones have the ball and spring, but two of them do, and holds a small detent ball into a detent in the rod, and that is how the choke rod stays where you put it.

Comment

The balls/springs go into carbs 1 & 4. The balls sit in the detents in the choke bar when the lever is moved. You will notice that there are 3 of these detents in the bar behind carb #1 that correspond to closed/half open/full open position of the enrichener circuit when you move the lever. If that ball/spring is missing, you will have to hold the lever in place.
      Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
      '80 XS1100SG (mine)
      '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

80 sg carb problem

Thanks a lot John and Mike. I did try to put the balls and springs back into the right carbs but they may be stuck or the rod may not be in the right position. I'll double check that. Thanks for the input. I hadn't associated the balls with the starter circuit in my mind and that turned on a light. I sure appreciate the help.
        Sam

Comment

The springs go in first, then the balls. Then slide in the rod.
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
          X