Cam chain choices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain choices.

Not wanting to piggy-back on Ole Biker's thread, I'll do a new one. I understand from following related threads, that there is a choice of cam chains; one being like a heavy duty, and the other a lighter duty. ? If that's the case, has anyone used both?..and how do they compare? Does one stretch faster, or is one more longer lived? Are cam chains readily available from most suppliers? I'm about at the point to do a cam chain replacement as the tensioner is about at it's end, and the chain seems to be rattling more and more. I don't want a catasrophy. Thanks for the advice in advance.
    Geno

About 3 years ago, I used the chain from Parts-and-more, but I did find that it was cheaper, and the pins that hold the chain together were of a smaller diameter than the original. At first, I had to do three adjustments in less than 1,000 miles. Now, at about 12,000 more miles, I need another adjustment. This seems about normal. But common sense tells me that a chain at least as heavy as the stock one would be more durable. I don't know about the other supplier's chains, but I read that the ones from Bike Bandit are the heavier ones. But so far, I have no regrets about the lighter chain. Only time will tell. Good luck.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Howdy there rover! Just the info I was looking for! Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Hope you're riding well.
      Geno

Comment

My pleasure. I am riding my 79F. Lovwe that bike. Did you do the 750 final drive conversion? That is far and away the BEST mod ever. How is the weather in WA? Our weather in central WI is getting better. Find the tech tips on replacing your chain. Hook the new one to the old and pull it through. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE CAMS FIRST!!! Much easier that way. Happy chain fishing!
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Ever time I've torn an XS down to the crank have replaced the cam chain while in there. I have one new chain out on the parts shelf...but could not find it, so don't know specific brand. Got em all from bikebandit tho.

mro

Comment

Well, as far as I can tell now, I have no regrets or complaints of using the lighter duty chain. Like I said before, 12,000 or so miles and holding up fine. The original went about 58,000, hope this one will last that long.
            79 F (Blueballs)
            79 SF (Redbutt)
            81 LH (organ donor)
            rover has spoken

Comment

I think the chain I got was an EK chain made by the Enuma Chain MFG. Co. LTD in Japan. The pins ARE larger than the chain I took out, but the chain fits well, IF PROPERLY INSTALLED!
              Part number is EK29H128L for the XS/XJ 1100. Get the new master link, as it IS an endless chain, and you will need to "break" it to install. I think K&L motorcycle supply company uses the same chain, and sell it for about $25, and the master link for about $4. Your local shop can order these, and save you the hassle of an internet order if you want.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks all for your input....complete with suppliers and prices! Great! Much appreciated.
                Geno

Comment

Here ya go, Loosegears~~your homework ain't over yet; 4 pages on this thread about camchain replace > http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=4
                  JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                  7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

"Oops."
                    Geno

Comment

Working...
                    X