hard shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard shifting

I have an 81 xs 1100H and when i shift in any of the gears it has a loud clicking sound do these bikes normally behave this way? It's my first one from a single owner 15000 miles on it. Also when shifting it seems touchy like if its not exactly matched to road speed it retorts back with a grumbling sound are these bikes typically like this? It rides beautifuly and is powerful I want to take care of her right so maybe some of you more experienced guys could help me out on this one I would really appreciate it!
    live life xssessively

Yea,I dont know about anyone elses bike but the 80SG I ride now is little clunky.My bike has very low miles too so I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with it.I also see people on here with 1st and 2nd gear problems where their bike comes out of gear easy.They have a fix for that.Also my last Xs11 had a clunky trans and it had over 60,000 miles on it.
    I guess I dont understand what you mean when you say its touchy though.But if your fluids dont have metal chips in them and look ok and it stays in gear its probably ok.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4855
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Yamaha back then had a real clunky trany.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

After reading the threads it sounds pretty normal I can deal with clunky over a harley anyday! After all it was when japan bought out harley the quality went up on those overpriced bikes.
          live life xssessively

Comment

When did Japan buy out Harley? I thought the employees bought-out AMF/Harley. I totally agree on the overpriced part. I had my XS in a parking lot full of $25K twins and I'll bet old Betsy would pull them faster than they will run
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Although there are many parts on a Harley that are made in Japan I don't think the company is Japanese owned.
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Yea Harley and Victory are the only american made bikes these days.
                1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
                1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
                1974 kawasaki G4
                2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
                1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

Originally posted by Bamper
                  Yea Harley and Victory are the only american made bikes these days.
                  Say What? You were kidding, right?

Comment

Yup shifts hard

HI! My first post!!! Weeeeee! I have an 1100H Venturer and I do remember thinking it was shifting kinda loud like. But I used to have an 81 650Maxim and it did too. The strangest thing is how it can sometimes pop out to a neutral when shifting into 5th. I saw another person write about it in a post before.

Comment

Working...
                    X