long shifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long shifter?

hey mikesxs has a longer shifter for 10 bucks... do the 650 shifter fit our bikes??? there are alot of chaep parts on there. like the lever replacements and switch housings.

i wear a 13-4e shoe and i for one would like a longer shifter if possible???

and i nees new rubbers for the foot rests. or i thought about going aftermarket but it looks like i'll have to drill them out.
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Before you order, make sure of how much longer the replacement shifter is. Since the 650 shifters are shorter than the XS11s, the longer one might be the same as the 11s= cool to know that you can get new shift levers for our 11s.

Comment

Hey Chris,

Just so happens that I ordered one from MikesXS, the longer one, and installed it before the XS East rally. The OEM shifter fits nicely in the crook/joint where my big toe bends, and so it was always comfortable shifting. But my old OEM was wallowed out in the splines, and I thought a little longer one would be good. I only have a 13 shoe size, and the MikesXS will provide a little more leverage for you, but it doesn't quite fit into that angled groove on the top of my boot like the OEM one does!

I don't know if the OEM 650 one is actually shorter than the XS11's? I can get some measurements if you would like? But it does fit onto the shift shaft just like the OEM!
      T.C.

PS, I went ahead and measured them: The OEM is ~4.5" from center of shifter shaft to center of shifter end...where the rubber sleeve fits over the toe section.

The Mikes XS is ~5.5" long, but it is also more angled as well, but still easily clears the timing case cover by a few inches! HTH?
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would love to find a heal/toe shift lever that would fit my XS. Does anyone know if those Gold Wing levers would fit the XS?

My left foot was crushed, so was the right foot, back in '04. I wear heavy workboots so it doesn't bother my foot when up shifting. So far, so good.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Hey Don,

DO a search for Heel toe shifter, I think someone posted about one from a Honda Rebel fit, but not sure??
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The Goldwing shifters are backwards to ours, and located way farther ahead, so the heel toe shifters were made with a fork at one end to fit over the shift lever they don't actually bolt on the transmission shaft.
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

You could get an extra shifter and a brake petal and weld them together, it might take a little engineering, but it has been done before. I met a guy this weekend with a older BMW sidecar rig with all left hand controls and foot clutch and pneumatic shifter. He was partly paralyzed on his right side , but he was still riding, so anything is possible.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Hi Guys,

Most Hondas and many kawasakis use the same shifter spline as the Yamaha... and every Yam I have ever worked on uses the same spline. Suzuki use a different (coarser) shifter spline.

Hopefully that opens up the possibilities; some of the little commuter hondas (C70/90?) used heel/toe shifters which have the right spline.

AlanB
                If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp
                  You could get an extra shifter and a brake petal and weld them together, it might take a little engineering, but it has been done before. I met a guy this weekend with a older BMW sidecar rig with all left hand controls and foot clutch and pneumatic shifter. He was partly paralyzed on his right side , but he was still riding, so anything is possible.
                  That's pretty much the plan I am thinking about going with. There's a maintenance guy here at my building that does excellent welding and he already said he could do it most likely.

Just thought I would look incase I could find one.

Thanks for the help guys.

Don
                  currently own;
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                  2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

There is a shifter from a scrambler that will work. check for threads, someone requested this before.
                    Dell82
                    Dell82
                    Houston, TX
                    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X