Rain Tires and Rain gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Tires and Rain gear?

I am going to open up a can of worms here, but what are the various opinions on wet road tires. It has been raining so much around here that the animals are starting to line up two by two. I guess if I want to ride its going to be wet. I've looked at Dunlap Elite3's or D404's. The price is better on the D404's, but I have read a lot of good things about the Elite 3's. OBTW, any ideas on raingear for warm (hot) weather?
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

This could probably be added to all the other tire threads, but since you are asking about just Dunlops, the Elite 3's are more expensive, but will last approximately 3 times longer than the 404's. (Rear tire anyway) I just bought an Elite 3 and it handled great in the rain on the highway going straight at 80-90 mph. I don't push ANY tire on corners in the rain... so no knowledge of that, but in the dry, it did fine on a couple 45mph corners at over 120. (It was all Maximan's fault I tell ya!)

Rain gear... for cheap, it's hard to beat Frog Togs. You need something waterproof, but that will breathe.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I wouldn't push it in the rain either, I've already got enough scars. I understand the 120 in a 45 MPH corner, just the other morning some hardley rider with a big fat rear tire pulled up beside me at a stoplite on the way to work. He revved, I revved, he took off, I gave him 50 feet off the line, then blew past him. At the next light I laughed at him and told him the bike was 30 years old and left him again. It was all his fault, he shouldn't have revved his motor. I don't like how my Ching s**ts slip first thru third, it takes too long to blow off the hog riders when they don't hook up. The Elites lasting 3x's longer is a good selling point to SWMBO. When you point out that they don't cost 3x's as much as the D404's do, it helps alot!!!
      I've heard of Frog Togs, I'll check them out. Thanks Tod!
      1979XS1100SF
      K&N's and drilled airbox
      Jardine 4in1
      Dunlop Elite 3's
      JBM slide diaphragms
      142.5 main jets
      45 pilot jets
      T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
      750/850 FD mod.
      XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

I have always trusted Metzler tires.I once rode 7 months in a row because i got 2 speeding tickets and my car insurance went up.I figured the insurance was alot cheaper and bought some ski pants(Gore-Tex) and a rain jacket and Gore-Tex socks.The tires were perfect for wet weather riding.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

rain gear???

hey there folks...rain gear....don't wear it...only wear the leather jacket, helmet, gloves and work gear......carry a spare set of work clothes in the trunk.....do have vetter fairing (small) to dodge the big stuff, but suck it up and take it like a man......last rain storm i got caught in, the color in my leather bled thru and turned my arms black......badge of honor if ya ask me....soaked almost thru my boots, but not quite.......people at work think i'm an idiot.....but they don't know i'm just crazy....just try riding in 82 mph gusting winds....ross
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          authenic historical vehicle
          42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
          "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
          "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
          '96 venture cct.....installed!
          stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
          i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Mother Goose and I both have Frogg Toggs. They are light and do breathe. Don't get one on a hot pipe. And if you have even a very slow crash they will be done for. Mother Goose was the test subject for this one. That first bit of heavy rain sure raises a lot of oil and she found out just how slippy that can be. It was a very low speed thing and she is fine and bike is almost fine but the toggs are toast. Just ordered her another set. Cheapest place I have found them is Sportsmans Guide.
            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I have the Elite 3s and wear frogg toggs. Love them both. I had 404s but went right through them.
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Badge Of Honor???

Hey Ross, You wouldn't have cabin fever after this year's winter would you? Dye leaking through your leathers? Man, that's HARDCORE !! (or borderline nuts) Just kidding! My helmets off to you buddy. Anyway my co-workers already think I a bit twisted so no sense encouraging them. Does a fairing drag you around in a crosswind? Since we are already talking foul-weather riding, I've been wondering about that. I've been riding since I was 12, but I've never riden a bike with a Vetter or a windshield believe it or not. The closest was a 78 Suzuki 1000S, but a bikini doesn't count. I thought about Metzlers or Conti's, but I think I'd like to try the Elite 3's. I wish the Frog Togs came in a more visable color than they do, but I'm going to give them a try. I am constantly amazed at the amount of experince is avalible onthis website. Thanks!
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

from the asylum.....

hey there Toolmaker Tim.....yea, thats what all the guys at work think.....HE'S FREAKIN' NUTZ!!!...but that is only their opinion.....i run the dunlop 401's i believe....front and rear.....after my wife serving me dinner in the man-cave and then emancipating me from the will, about 6 weeks in the man-cave painting and doing the carbs....(if ya want, just go to the search page and search my name....lots of fotos)....ya can't let a little weather get ya down.....especially at $4 a gal.....from +24 degrees temp up 2 100+ heat index.....full gear....as far as the fairing goes, look up my postings to see what kind i have...it is not the full vetter fairing....it's sort of like a half breed......i like it very much....keeps the bugz off ya when it's dry....something 2 hide being when it rains....and no matter what ya do, a sail in the wind is still a sail....when i hit those 82 mph wind gusts, i thought the bike was gonna get ripped right outta my hands....'course i was doing 55 in a 35 zone, but i'm sure that had nothing 2 do with it...hehehehe....finally it probably doesn't help that my ol' man is a hoosier also....we are from ft. wayne.....btw, i gotta nice pair of pontoons that i could let go for real cheap that would bolt on your bike.....hehehehe......talk 2 ya later...ross

p.s. if ya want the frog togs in a better color, just lay them out, spray them with spray adhesive, and cover them with glitter ya get from the art supply store......send me a picture if ya try this...
                  rebel devil
                  1979 xs 1100f standard
                  authenic historical vehicle
                  42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                  "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                  "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                  "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                  '96 venture cct.....installed!
                  stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                  i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Toolmaker Tim

I really like the Avon venom X's. Got 8,000 miles on them since I bought the bike last May. Rode them all fall and winter in the rain. Sort of reigned in when it was frozen fog and snow. LOL. Anyhow it looks like I got enough tread to safely make it thru the summer.
                    Got on the net, here's what I got:
                    Avon: rear 827, front 585 GVW
                    Elite 3:rear 830, front 570 GVW., this is if you are worried about the load.
                    Anyways my two cent's worth. Have a nice day and keep the rubber side down. AND I hope it quit's raining there.
                    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

I think a full fairing actually helps stabilize a bike in the wind and it deflects that big wall of water thrown off by the big trucks a lot better then my body.
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

Bob Jones used Metzler and thats what I have now and they are the best Dunlops are not good.
                        Motor cop

Comment

Dunlops are not good.
                          Not quite sure where you heard this little tidbit from but you obviously haven't tried a set from the Elite series. To come on here and basically say "My tires are great but yours suck" probably isn't the best way to get your point across either.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Metzlers and everyone is entitled to their opinion... but most on here would agree that your opinion of the Dunlops is wrong. The Elites will stick to the road as well as the Metzlers, yet run a lot longer before wearing out. How well they stick is an opinion of the person riding and is subject to discussion.. but the longevity isn't.

If you were talking about the Dunlop 404 series... still a good cheap tire, it just doesn't last very long.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Nulle, just asking for veiw points, no harm no foul. I did think about the Metzlers. They sound like a good tire, glad you like them. Life expectance is a big selling point for me. I'm sure stone wheels would wear very well, but the stickiness factor would be low I've made up my mind on the Elite 3's, so its now a matter of getting them. I'm back to work so I'll probably be treating myself to an early Christmas present before the summers over. Helps my sisters boyfriend is tight with the local independent shop owner. I know the Net has better deals, but the guy's pretty cool and he's got to eat too. Thanks Saddle up and oldyam80sg for your input also Ross, two of my girls were in gymnastics, so with my experinces with glitter, I'll respectfully pass on your idea
                            1979XS1100SF
                            K&N's and drilled airbox
                            Jardine 4in1
                            Dunlop Elite 3's
                            JBM slide diaphragms
                            142.5 main jets
                            45 pilot jets
                            T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                            750/850 FD mod.
                            XV 920 Needle Mod.