Exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust system

My exhaust is pretty ratty looking. It all works but sure doesn't look good. Is there any aftermarket stuff left for these old girls. Mine is an 80 special.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

when I go to Dennis kirk I find these for my 79 XS11 special. They may have some for yours. This is the address I find mine on.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...np=&mmyId=7771
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Exhaust are starting to get few and far between for these old machines and very high priced too. So I nursed the one I have.

I have a MAC 4-1 that is chromed and about 11 years old. I coated the inside of the header tubes with ceramic when they were new. But after many years the header tubes were starting to show alot of surface rust while the muffler is still in like new shape.

About a year ago I decided to do a metallic ceramic coating on the header. I went to Techline and got some of their bright aluminum metallic ceramic coating that must be baked on for 1 hour at 550 degrees. This coating has no volitile solvent so it can be cooked in your kitchen oven (didnt even smell up the house) and luckily, the header just fit into my kitchen oven.

I blasted the rust off with 120 grit aluminum oxide then applied the coating to the manufacturer instructions. Then into the oven for an hour. Not quite as bright as chrome but still looks great. If you have access to a vibratory polisher with Microbrite ceramic beads, you can use their Cerma Chrome that will polish up very brightly. Cerma Chrome is the bright finish that is used by alot of the header coating shops.

To apply one of these finished you need a blaster (I used one from Harbor Freight for $12.00) and a small spray gun, like a jamb gun. The whole thing was done in an afternoon.

The ceramic coating is an insulator that keeps the exhaust heat inside the pipe accelerating the gasses out faster. The exhaust tube temp while riding is noticeably lower. About 100 degrees, in fact, which makes for cooler riding in summer. The finish is now a year old and still looks like the day it was applied.

So, this is definately an option for an old exhaust.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
      X