Valve stem core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve stem core

I have a silly question. My tire is leaking out the valve stem. How do I change the core? Do I simply use a valve core tool and unscrew the darn thing and then screw a new one in? I kind of recall replacing some as a teenager, but that was a long, long time ago. Also, is the replacement a standard part that I can pick up at NAPA, or do I need to get to a Yamaha dealership? I ask as it is a good drive to a dealership. I will definately burn more gas getting there than the cost of the new valve stem core.

Dave
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Yes, it is that simple. Before you replace it though, try loosening it off a bit and reseating it. The core may just be a bit loose. You should be able to buy a replacement at any auto parts store, or even steal one from some kid's bicycle...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

akecountrydave:

A shot of "Fix A Flat" will also stop a sticking schrader valve or slightly overfilling and bleeding down as usually a piece of dirt gets between the release valve and the bottom of the valve. You can buy a handful from any tire store or auto parts store.

Comment

Don't forget the spit test.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Mucho Gracias!

Thanks guys!!! I appriaciate the advice. I was worried as in my mind I remembered it being really simple and easy, so I figured I was blocking out some important detail.

Dave
          Dave
          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Working...
          X