antique plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antique plates

Just curious because most of our bikes are around 30 years old how many people register their bikes as antique or classic? Is there any difference?Is there any advantages such as insurance,inspection fees ?Now that my bike will soon see the road I'm looking for options.Thanks
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

You might want to check with your DMV, I know here in michigan that registering as a classic/antique and purchasing insurance as such limits you to some very low number of miles per year of "pleasure" miles and miles ridden to and from shows.

I looked into this a few years ago when I was driving my 73 Datsun 240z as primary transportation to and from work and school. I decided that it wasn't worth it, that I'd be way over the limited miles allowed.

Now if your into fraud then I suppose the likely hood of ever getting caught is slim, unless you try to collect on your insurance then I'd bet you'll get busted because they will do anything to get out of paying. So maybe get the special plates but not the insurance.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Mine is registerd as "historic" here in Maryland. Basically, it means I don't have to pass emissions anymore and there is no inspection needed to get it tagged.
      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
      23mm float height
      120 main jets
      42.5 pilot jets
      drilled stock airbox with K&N
      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
      spade fusebox
      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

historical plates...

hey there oldyam80sg...i run 1979 plates on the "rebel devil"...i am in michigan....i have only been pulled over once in 3 years and i think the cops just wanted 2 check it out.....never got a ticket....pay $35 one time fee for plates..plate never expires (says so right on the registration).....no tabs...and run plpd insurance on it...cost $180 per year to run her...except for the gas.....one more reason 2 own an old bike....fees are very low.....talk 2 ya later...ross

rebel devil
        1979 xs 1100f standard
        authenic historical vehicle
        42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
        "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
        "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
        '96 venture cct.....installed!
        stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Historic plates

Missouri is about the same as MI. You have to keep a log of your trips, mileage, and the dates you drove it. Your odometer better check with the Log. Total PITA!!
          J.D."Jack" Smith
          1980G&S "Halfbreed"
          1978E straight job
          "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

WI has two type Collector and Antique. Oddly I was just talking with a guy about these today and I guess the state just recently relaxed the months that the vehicle cannot be driven. It was Dec., Jan., and Feb. not it is only Jan.

From DMV site:

Antique motorcycle
            Available for 1945 or older model motorcycles that have not been altered or modified from manufacturer’s original specifications. The motorcycle can only be used for special occasions such as display and parade purposes or for necessary testing, maintenance and storage purposes.
            Registration period Non-expiring
            Fee $5
            Number of plates One
            Plates remain with Seller
            Plate color Green on gold
            Statutory reference s.341.266
            DMV inquiry AMC

Collector motorcycle
            Issued for vehicles 20 years or older that have not been altered or modified from manufacturer's specifications. Must have another Wisconsin registered vehicle used for regular transportation. Cannot be operated during the month of January without a temporary plate.
            Registration period Non-expiring
            Fee One-time $50 application fee plus twice the annual registration fee for the vehicle type being registered.
            Number of plates One
            Plates remain with Seller
            Plate color Red on light blue
            Statutory reference s.341.266
            DMV inquiry CMC
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Going to DMV tomorrow.I don't like the fact that you are limited how many miles you can drive per year.I will find out tomorrow.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

hey there oldyam80sg...ya might be able 2 get the info at the dmv, but ya might have 2 register it at the capitol.....i had to send off 2 lansing, mi to register the plate i have....can't do it a the local dmv...just my 2 cents...talk 2 ya later and good luck...ross
                rebel devil
                1979 xs 1100f standard
                authenic historical vehicle
                42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                '96 venture cct.....installed!
                stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

I will go next Friday and find out.Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                  X