No announcement yet.

Question about replacing the head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cam chain tunnel seems to be the week link on this gasket. I made sure I sealed mine 'cause I didn't want to do it again. I should have mentioned this in the earlier post, but DO NOT try to torque the two cam chain tunnel nuts to 25 lbs. If memory serves they only get 14 lbs. It's very difficult to get a torque wrench on the one in the back and I think most people just snug them good. Another reason I think the sealer/adhesive is a good idea. I'm with olebiker on wondering what others are doing.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee
      DJ - When you go to reinstall your head gasket, permatex ultra copper spray-on is an excellent high-temp gasket adhesive sealant. I used it on mine just to add that little extra. No leaks. If you do use the ultra copper, get someone to help you put the gasket in. The stuffs kind of sticky, and it takes two people to wrangle the chain, and to keep from making a mess.

I used the Permetex Gasket Maker. I had my son helping me in trying to work the gasket into position and I used a tie down strap to suspend the head to the bike frame. Mess....aaah...ya...slight mess no matter how careful I tried to be. I had to be McGyverish since I couldn't find any string, I used a telephone cord to tie around the chain to lower it so I could work it through the gasket, then had my son put it back up.

DAMN was it a pain in the butt getting that chain back on and lining up those sprockets. It would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation if I remembered there was those tension arms below. I didn't want to pull too hard afraid I'd snap something but once I did, I finally got the sprockets into place.

I called it a day around 8 p.m. as I was sore as all heck (back, legs from prior injuries). I'll start back up here as soon as this coffee and pain meds kick in.

Randy, yup, I have both standard and metric allen wrenches. My guess is that nut has not been off in 28 yrs. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere but I'm too tired to work on that.

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I forgot to mention. One thing I am very appreciative about is that I live in an apartment building. The guys on both sides of my apartment got home and put down what they were doing to come assist me. One guy is around 33, the other is 83. Both are a whole more up on engines. The older guy drove tractor trailers his whole life so he's awesome. He has a lot more energy than I do, that's for sure.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
        X