Headlight options....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight options....

Hello, my 1980 XS1100 standard currently has a big (vetter?) fairing on it, and I am not really a fairing kind of guy. So, I'm looking to replace it, but now I will need a headlight and possible turn signals (haven't looked that closely at it).

My question is, has anyone put a round headlight on these? I'm not fond of square headlights on older bikes, not to mention that original replacements are pretty spendy.

Anyone have any options for me?

Thanks again!

Tim

I'm pretty sure the XS650 light will work, I'm going to find out soon. I have a 650 for parts and I took the fairing off the 1100 so now I need a headlight. Looks like the brackets are on the XS1100 are there they are just bent in I'll let yea know.
    1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
    1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
    1974 kawasaki G4
    2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
    1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

Any 7 inch side mounted round light will work. I'm using a xs 750 headlight as the bucket was black and I hated the chrome bucket blinding me. When I had the bike repainted I had the bucket painted to match. Any side mount light is going to work but you may have to reroute some wiring to get it all in the bucket. And you will need special ears for the standard.
      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Forgot to add my bike is the special
        1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
        1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
        1974 kawasaki G4
        2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
        1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

Here's mine

I swapped lights with my 79 special. I love the way the round light looks vs the square. jmo

www.myspace.com/risenphoenix82

It has the black bucket. I really want a chrome one...but not if it's going to blind me in the sun. lol I had to do some mods on the holes so all the wires fit without being shoved in there like clowns in a car. Nothing that 15 minutes and a dremel couldn't handle.

I have more pics. Just email if you want to see them. I would offer more pics but my girlfriend jumped on me while I was holding my digital camera and knocked it out of my hand. I hate her.

Oh yeah...this was kind of a slap together job. Did whatever I could, as fast as I could, using as little money as possible just to get her road worthy. It does need bigger ears, but I just wanted to ride her. I hope none of you guru's lash me for having the wrong ears or not having a speedo (she has one now that is secured with zip ties...lol).
          Last edited by AustinPhoenix; 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM.
          1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
          4 to 2 Exhaust
          K&N Pod Filters
          Fuel Filters
          Inline shut off valves
          Slotted Rotors
          My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
          Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

I couldn't tell you about any change in wiring but I replaced my headlight and turn signals on my 1100SG this spring. (round light to round light, not any square one) I bought the bikes back in Dec and rebuilt the SG, now working on the SH.

It really wasn't very difficult to pull off the top of the fork mounts to slide off the light mounting brackets. I bought a replacement light bucket since the PO had dropped the bike leaving the headlight scratched, dented and rusting.

Man, I promise, if I can do it, anyone can!

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Check this setup out...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/xs650...spagenameZWDVW

Item number: 170227911070
              http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...10020Maxim.jpg

Comment

updated link?

That ebay item got removed. Can you find anything similar?

On a similar/different note, I bought some small driving lights from Wal-Mart last night for $15. A guy at my office has two on his Triumph and they look really sharp. If anybody wants to see what they look like (if you'd like extra light for night riding/visibility to cagers), just PM me. I should have them on brackets by this weekend.
                4 to 2 Exhaust
                K&N Pod Filters
                Fuel Filters
                Inline shut off valves
                Slotted Rotors
                My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Do an EBAY search on "xs650 xs500 rd350 xt500 xj650 yamaha headlight NEW kit". It looks like it's still available....
                  http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...10020Maxim.jpg

Comment

AustinPhoenix
                    It's still there, just do a search using the item number: 170227911070

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Re: updated link?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AustinPhoenix
                      [B]That ebay item got removed. Can you find anything similar?

On a similar/different note, I bought some small driving lights from Wal-Mart last night for $15.

Watch out when adding driving lights. XS11 charging systems struggle to handle what the factory gave it let alone driving lights. If they are 55w halogens, and you ride alot in the city, your battery will go dead, usually as you sit idleing at a stop light, been there, dun dat and bought the t-shirt. If you have any doubts, hook your volt meter to the battery, crank 'er up, turn on the extra lights and look at what your voltage is at the battery, go ahead a rev 'er up to 4k, I betcha won't get close to 13 volts. LED conversions for tail, brake and turnsignal bulbs will help some. Watts divided by volts= amp draw. And that is without the loss thru wiring and switches. 2, 55w lights will draw a engine stopping 9+amps.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

hmmm

So IF I add them now, would you suggest adding a switch to ignite them independently vs a linked connection to my high beam or low beam? My use for them will be for highway or back road riding. The city is bright enough.

Thanks for the tough love.
                        4 to 2 Exhaust
                        K&N Pod Filters
                        Fuel Filters
                        Inline shut off valves
                        Slotted Rotors
                        My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Hey Austin,

Yes, I added a RELAY from the AUX terminal, and ran a switch to the handlebars, so I could turn them on and off at will. The only thing is that the AUX terminal is HOT all the time, I've left them ON or bumped the switch ON a couple of times, but noticed it a few minutes later, not enough time to kill the battery!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                          X