Chug Rattle Twang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chug Rattle Twang

Rebuilt front end Saturday on my XS1100G, minus a front mudguard, after my bike had a chat with truck, been out and about all weekend havin fun, met the local policing chaps in Winchester and they left me alone, Bikes runs beautifully but sounds lack a sack of pooh on deceleration. I assume we either have a tensioner guide or top guide pinged durring the wee truck issue, Maybe

Symptons, pulling up to say 90, eeer soory 70, no noise, cruise then chug, rattle, twang. Pull the clutch in and coste, lovely and quiet. Re- ingage the clutch, twang, rattle. Open the throttle to maintain a steady 90, Eeer 70 no issue.

i can't be the first guy on the planet to have had this

Cheers Pete
    Endeavour to persevere

Given up Mr Nicotine, (No Puff Pete )

Sure sounds like a loose cam chain. I guess it could be other things, but this seems to be the most obvious. It should even be louder at idle if it's that loose. I don't think I'd take it up to 90, er 70 before you do the chain tension adjustment procedure. If it's still noisy, then you may need a new chain...
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Hi XS Pastor

I've re-sdjusted the cam chain on the C mark. No change I am afraid.

Any other options, please advise.

Err I'm a Scotsman in England and it may help is I post the .co.uk thread etc Uuum my XS had a wee chat with Mr Truck

Now the problem is, but here we go without Brian, Gaffer Miti, Tom etc advise from .co.uk may not work, I do struggle with links so if this works all down to you guys

Anyway here we go
      http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=3923.0

Hope this works otherwise please refer this to someone from co.uk

Cheers Pete
      Endeavour to persevere

Comment

Hey Pete,

Aside from the internals....which I actually don't think got "pranged", I'd look at the EXHAUST manifolds, the bolts and such, they may have gotten LOOSENED, same for the other mounting bolts/nuts for the pipes!?

Also, check out the engine mounts.

BTW, Nice Avatar....I'll see what I can do so you can have it HERE, the others would appreciate seeing it, and it's perfectly within the allowable content rules!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi T.C.

I'll pull the downpipes off this weekend and reseat, I may even put some new O-rings in.

Glad you like my avatar, if you can sort her out for .com that would be great.

Cheers pete
          Endeavour to persevere

Comment

Now that you've ruled ot the cam chain, pipes are a good thing to check. Maybe a loose baffle in the muffler(s)? I'm not sure if internal pipes can break loose in the case of double walled pipes... Topcat could advise better on that. Can you tell where the sound is coming from? If you rev it in neutral, can you get it to make the sound or is it only in gear? Sounds like it goes away under acceleration from what you said. How big a of a jolt did the bike take? Could it have cracked the clutch basket? Does it do it in all gears, or just 5th? When the accident occured, what gear were you in? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to think through some of the possibilities.
            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            drilled stock airbox with K&N
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

ruled ot the cam chain

Not unless the tensioner has been checked to see if it's maxed out it's adjustment or not.

mro
              Top chain guide is in the top of the head and easy to see and check.
              The other two are in the cylinders and short of pulling the head would be difficult to tell if worn or damaged.

Comment

HI XS Pastor, MRO and T.C.

Mr Truck came to sudden halt in front of me in the industrial estate. I stopped about 20/30" behind. The truck driver now just dropped it straight into reverse, I leap sidways, doing a lovely pirouette rolling and jumping to my feet, talking loudly with a few choice colourful mataphors to see my XS being forced under the so called safety bar. The driver apparantly had missed his turning and didn't see me. Lordie Loo i never would have guessed that.

Anyway in answer to the question, a 7.5 ton truck doing about 15/20 mph in reverse had a squashing effect on my front end, not sure what gear I was in. Anyway its all history now, as the insurance company paid out and I am now Back on the Road, just!

I think doing 90, eer 70 is wee bit foolish with all these twangy noises on deceleration, I agree, the exhausts are tight with no popping or rattling so I think I will lift the cam cover and see whats what and if need be pop the head, the more I think about this and listening to the advise is steering me towards the cam chain bouncing on impact and knackering the cam chain tensioner or mangling a guide. I'll post what i see

T.C. any news on my avatar?

Cheers pete
                Endeavour to persevere

Comment

Crunch

wow Peter glad you are OK and your not teh first to fall victim to a blind driver. good thing your a good pavement dancer.

John
                  79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                  80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                  06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                  2000 Concours
                  84 Kawi KLR600
                  79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                  79 XR250
                  Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                  John

Comment

twang

i had this noise i thought my cam chain was going to fall apart any min. was1 head pipe gasket . man i felt dumb

bill
                    bill hane

Comment

Originally posted by Peter G
                      HI T.C.

T.C. any news on my avatar?

Cheers pete
                      Hey Pete,

It's not going too well! Your original one was 80x80, our site only allows 65x65, I was able to crop it by editting each individual frame to 64x64 format. But the original was over 270 KBytes in file size, our site only allows 20kbytes max!! Also, whoever created it used CUSTOM/local color palettes for each individual image/frame, and so I'm not able to compress it using a GLOBAL palette. I've had to cut out something like 3/4's of the frames, and have still only gotten it down to 36 kbytes. It MAY end up being a STILL IMAGE by the time it gets reduced to the required Kbytes size!

But I'm having fun relearning my FREE/Shareware Animated Gif construction program......reinstalled it, and got a warning that it was over 11 years old!! The company that made it is STILL in business, so I "might" check out a newer demo version just to see if it will work with yours a bit better than what I've been able to do! I don't like to be beaten, I'll get it or something fairly close, stand by!!
                      T.C.

PS: BwaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaa....Success!!!
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC

Yippeee, she looks good riding pillion tooo!

Thank you
                        Cheers Pete

Hi Paintman/Snowdog51

Yup, pavement dancing is not going to be my new sport, I've tried it and thats that. I've ordered a new head gasket from Wisco and new exhaust gaskets and will strip down and rebuilt this weekend to find out whats occurring. What I didn't say earlier was I just rebored to 2933, 3mm over, and hadn't even run the bike in so I really better check all in as it should be.

Cheers Pete
                        Endeavour to persevere

Comment

Working...
                        X